Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reklaw
    • Oct 2012

Custom Search Module

I have added a search page to my site and placed a custom "Search Module" on the page. My goal is to mock Googles simplicity in searching on my site with a large search bar. After adding the module is reads "There are no nodes to meet this criteria." I have searched through admincp but cannot find anything. How do I add a node or go about including a custom search bar (not an advanced search)?

Any ideas.. Thanks!
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The custom Search Module doesn't allow people to search. You would edit its configuration and have preset the search parameters and then it would display the results.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      The custom Search Module doesn't allow people to search. You would edit its configuration and have preset the search parameters and then it would display the results.
      Ok, I have edited the search module, but where/how do I edit the configuration and set the parameters?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

For a custom module, you would click edit on the Custom Modules tab. It will change all instances of that module placed on a page.

For a search module you dragged to the page from the general modules area, you would click on the pencil to edit it.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
          • Oct 2012

Ok I have updated the presets and made the changes but how then will the search be able to display results if the search doesnt allow people to use it? What then is it good for? And if it will not allow a search how do I include the search from the top left into a page? I can grab the css with firebug but I want it included into the page.

Your thoughts?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

You would put the module on a page and the results will show up. You would provide a link to the page, probably in your navigation bar.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
              • Oct 2012

You would put the module on a page and the results will show up. You would provide a link to the page, probably in your navigation bar.
              Okay! I understand what you are explaining but not sure if you understood my question. I have already done all of these steps check it out @ http://www.loanforum.org/. What I am curious of:

-Is there a way to actually include the same search bar at the top left above the navigation bar onto a specific page, or if not that one another custom search bar where a user can actually type their question into it and then the results will populate below? Not just a results page?

Again thank you for your help and assistance Wayne!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

There is no way currently to include a secondary search bar on any page.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
                  • Oct 2012

Thanks for the help. Contrary to what you said I was able to add a secondary search bar into the page as I was trying to do http://www.loanforum.org/ . I copy and pasted the html from firebug and edited a few things. My only issue now is getting it to be centered and editing the size of the container. Because that is in the CSS and I can only edit the HTML in the module. Any ideas on this?

Thanks for your help wayne!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Well I meant through modules. If you use your own HTML, then really anything is possible.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
                      • Oct 2012

Awesome! So any idea on my CSS question? Can I use css via css_additional.css to modify this?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Sorry... You can use css_additional.css to modify any CSS. If I am unsure of the classes to use, I use Firebug to help me look it up. The Inspect Element tool is a great time saver.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
                          • Oct 2012

This thing is really giving me some issues! I was able to add the custom search through a combination of css_additional.css and HTML. It works and is functional as I wanted it to be but I have no idea how to get rid of or edit these display items below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	search.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	3690821

They are sprites from what I can tell but built into the search module that I stole the code from. Anyway to deleted them w/o disabling the search functionality or at least edit them to their original state?

loanforum.org
                          Last edited by Reklaw; Thu 6 Dec '12, 8:03am. Reason: reason

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

First looks to be an li list marker.

Second could be from sprites.

Best way to add CSS and only have it effect your element is to assign a CSS ID and then add your CSS to that ID. IDs must be unique to the page and take precedence over CSS Classes by a large margin.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment