Only displaying default Avatar after changing to server storage.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intocake
    • Jun 2014
    • 5.0.X

Only displaying default Avatar after changing to server storage.

I just changed my admin controls to store the Avatars in the customavatars directory instead of in the database. It seems like the avatars transferred successfully and I can view them when I enter the path directly.

However, the user accounts are not actually displaying the avatars from the new directory. Every account display the default avatar. When I upload a new avatar to an account it just uploads it but the account keeps using the default. Also, the thumbs sub-directory is empty.

Am I missing some settings or is there another problem?

more info:
    To make sure I was testing this problem I check the account that my user is in (it's in the Administrators Usergroup). That usergroup has the following options marked as yes:

- Can Upload Custom Avatars (yes)
    - Can Upload Animated Avatar (yes)
    Last edited by intocake; Wed 12 Nov '14, 3:33am.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

In Avatars > User Picture Storage Type, what is set for Avatar File Path and URL to Avatars? And is the customavatars directory the one located in the /core directory or is it somewhere else? And, is the /thumbs directory inside the /customavatars directory chmod to 777 and does it have just as many items in it as the parent directory?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• intocake
      • Jun 2014
      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Lynne
      In Avatars > User Picture Storage Type, what is set for Avatar File Path and URL to Avatars? And is the customavatars directory the one located in the /core directory or is it somewhere else? And, is the /thumbs directory inside the /customavatars directory chmod to 777 and does it have just as many items in it as the parent directory?
      The current path is ./customavatars. The customavatars directory is located inside of /core.

The /thumb directory is inside of the customavatars directory and it's empty (besides an index.html file). I just checked the ermissions on the thumbs directory and everything was open besides Public Write Permissions. I had not giving that directory full 777 permissions.

I went ahead and gave thumbs 777 permissions and tested it again and it works now. This still leaves me with two questions though.

1) Is it secure to have all these image directories with 777 permissions?

2) Since I already did the transfer from the database avatar storage to the server storage what can I do now? It didn't make copies in the thumbs directory because it was 777. What are my options from here? Would I have to transfer back to the database and then back to the server again for it to correct the problem?

Comment

• intocake
        • Jun 2014
        • 5.0.X

I have another question about the avatars that's more important than my last 2 questions. Now that I have the avatars stored on the server I can see they are named in a particular format. They are stored with the name "avatar" followed by the users "id" then "_" then one last number. That last number appears to be the nth number of avatars that the user has upload.

So the question is, where is this last number data stored in the database? Since your impex system doesn't supprot avatars for phpbb3, I need to be clear how these are stored so I can import them with my own custom scripts.

Comment