• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • consigliere
    • Oct 2012
    • 4.2.X

Fresh install - several issues

Hi guys.

I've just installed 5.15 (will upgrade to .16 tonight) and have a few issues.

Firstly the install was a new site (here) and it went smoothly. No hangups or hiccups, but now there are a couple of problems.

• When I log in there is a page style, but the forum doesnt look right. There are thread groups but no thread categories (screenshot attached)
    • There is no forum button on the top menu bar - I can click a subject to go to a forum but dont get a button on the header.
    • I cant turn on site builder - the button is there but does nothing.
    • I cant upload pics or images to my profile
    • When I click a trial announcement i put up it does nothing.

Something very basic is wrong here - possibly its a pathway I've screwed up however they are pretty simply and I've rechecked a few times so I'm confused.

The vB install is in the root directory of the server (public_html folder)

I've just had the software on my server upgraded to ensure they're running the correct version of PHP and MySql so that part should be fine.

I've reinstalled the software just in case there was an issue uploading.

Do I need to mod any folders (to 777 or similar)? I think not after searching here but just asking the question.

Thanks for your help in advance
    Attached Files
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

There is no Forum tab by default.

I would guess you added the forums via the Channel Manager? Did you make sure all the forums you added where 'children' of the Forum category there? They need to be under the Forum category.

Any errors in your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host) when you try to turn on the Site Builder? Exactly what happens when you turn it on?

And yes, you should upgrade to the latest version and then see if you still have these same problems.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• consigliere
      • Oct 2012
      • 4.2.X

Hi Lynne.

The forums were added via channel manager and made children of a category.

When I try to select site builder nothing happens - the button can be seen but does nothing. I'll check logs when able.

I just found out that my name servers are still reflecting the old server with the old MySQL so possibly its still related to this. Have changed the NS now so will update this when it redirects.

Comment

• oldz442
        • Apr 2012

Change 'Mopar' to 'GM' and things might run better.
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• consigliere
          • Oct 2012
          • 4.2.X

I tried this but it ran slower and unexpectedly stopped every few hours

- - - Updated - - -

OK - server software is all good. Meets vB 5 spec and safe mode is off.

- - - Updated - - -

So to clarify my issues so far:

Server software is up to date and safe mode is off

When I move the mouse to the "site builder" button I see a hand appear... but it wont turn on.
          Cant select one of two dummy announcements
          Cant upload images.
          Can add channels but when I try to edit their display order I get an error "social group not set"
          Cant see categories.
          Cant see links in the forum (latest activity etc)

This has to be something basic and in common.... will keep working on it here but any feedback would be helpful.
          Last edited by consigliere; Wed 31 Oct '12, 12:22am.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by consigliere
            Hi Lynne.

The forums were added via channel manager and made children of a category.
            They need to be children of the default Forum category that was present when you first installed the software - are they? And are the forums actually forums or categories themselves?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• consigliere
              • Oct 2012
              • 4.2.X

Hi Lynne.

I am now up and running.

Short version is my host hadnt moved the site when they said they had - so it was running on older versions of MySql etc.

I reinstalled on the new server and got the blank page issue at index, however this was because an additional "index" file in the root directory was confusing the vB index.php file.

I now have links, pagebuilder, and everything appears normal at this stage.

Will rebuild the forum structure tonight - I had categories added as children of the default "Forum" category, with forums added as children of the individual categories.

Thanks for your help - I'm sure it becomes very repetitive and frustrating for you

Comment