Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sushubh
    • Apr 2007

Link Posting does not work

i understand that it works fine on the demo edition that vB has made available. but it has not worked on my test install on my server.

i just installed the latest beta 15. this is what happens. if i do not include a text in the message box it shows this error: http://i.imgur.com/IBdzU.png

if i add some text and then try to post, it just hangs. a working message comes at the top in a yellow box. but nothing works. even if i wait for minutes.

what can be the reason? i have tried a fresh install. has been same since the first public beta release. should i file this as a bug?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Can you show us a phpinfo page? Its possible a function we rely on to get the external site might be broken.

Comment

• Sushubh
      • Apr 2007

https://thimble.webmaker.org/p/f3ag (i hope this is safe to post online! otherwise delete this post once you have gone through it!)

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Do you use cloudflare?

Comment

• Sushubh
          • Apr 2007

i do. with a previous beta i had issues loading the admin control panel. and you had pointed out the same issue. so i paused it in the cloudflare backend. even that has not helped.

vbulletin is able to load the details related to the external link. it hangs during the posting process. http://i.imgur.com/DFFfe.png

i am going to test it with nameservers changed back to the original values completely bypassing cloudflare and would update if it solves the problem.

just curious... do you plan to fix support for cloudflare optimizations? they have become very popular online and their platform really improves the site's performance. i currently have it enabled on my vb4.2 forum. have to disable some options (rocket loader primarily) but other than that it works great!

---

update:

ok. i got it to work once in a thread. second attempt fails. creation of a new thread with a link fails. here is a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/at1wQ.png

also realized that post editor works much smoother in firefox compared to chrome! i hope future updates would improve chrome support. post editor does not show the link field after a link is posted. need a hard refresh...
          Last edited by Sushubh; Thu 25 Oct '12, 12:35am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Can you switch to mod_php instead of mod_fcgid?
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sushubh
              • Apr 2007

i would check with my server guy. he usually avoids anything that cpanel/whm does not recommend. would update once i get a word from him!

Comment

• Sushubh
                • Apr 2007

a bit late... here is what the server guy told me:

We can disable mod_suphp which disables running the php as cgi/fcgi if you want. Be aware that mod_suphp offers security enhancments that would not be available running php as standard php. If the box suffers performance or a hack, we are not responsible Let us know if you want to proceed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sushubh
                  a bit late... here is what the server guy told me:
                  They could also loosen restrictions a bit. If it is a dedicated server or VPN, you should be able to install a domain which uses mod_php without hurting other existing installations.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sushubh
                    • Apr 2007

it's a dedicated server. i would check if he can enable mod_php on the forum domain. though i hope i have the option to disable this functionality(?) because i do not like it at all. thanks!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Well right now you're troubleshooting an issue on a beta installation of software. This may require server changes. I can't recreate the issue using my Linux server which uses mod_php or on my IIS Server which uses Fast/CGI.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sushubh
                        • Apr 2007

right. i would keep an eye on the new beta updates. the feature is not working on the latest one as well. thanks.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

I take it this is with *every* link? I have had similar errors with individual links which is to do with the link redirecting.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Sushubh
                            • Apr 2007

yes. i just tried linking google.com. it renders the preview correctly but posting does not work as it halts with Working... message at the top. http://imgur.com/puS3v

Comment