Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omegatron
    • Mar 2004

vBulletin 5 Question

Okay just got vBulletin 5 and setup a test site.

Trying to wrap my head around this as it seems kind of whonky to me.

vBulletin 5 HAS NO FORUM RIGHT?

You have to install vbulletin 4 forum in a completely separate directory if I am following the documentation.

if thats the case vbulletin 5 seems kinda of less than I was expecting as a product. It almost reminds me of windows 8 which is just some window dressing Microsoft did on top of windows 7 and makes things harder to use.

So basically vBulletin 5 connect basically reminds me of the next vb shot at a CMS system with social functionality added in at its most basic level of intrepretation right? Not trying to be negative just my observation.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

vBulletin 5 has a forum. You cannot run two active installations of vBulletin on only one license.

Click on the Directory tab, of the home page.

Comment

• omegatron
      • Mar 2004

I never said I was running two installs on one license so not sure where you get this from I am referring to your documentation when I was referring to a forum.

This is a clean vb5 install from a vb5 purchase. It is a test setup and clean.

I have a live vb4 license some other site thats a separate license.

Here is the default vb5 install done

I see no directory tab?

I see no reference in admin to a forum or any way to make categories forums and the like. I see no forum.php or anything. This is the latest beta code.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I found the link you meant this thing is just so wonky can not beleive you call this beta my friend and I have been along time customer since the initial release of vb2.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

When the software is configured correctly, and used correctly, it does operate more or less fine. (though it has bugs).

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by omegatron
          I see no directory tab?
          I can see it but it leads to : "unable_to_contact_server_please_try_again"

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Its because he configured the site to run on http://domain.com but is trying to use it on http://www.domain.com JS/ajax isn't cross domain friendly for security reasons.

Comment

• omegatron
              • Mar 2004

Actually I installed everything on www.domain.com

The issue is the ton of bugs including your installer in this pre-alpha software you call a beta 14.

Remember I came to you from a clean out of the box install.

If I go back and make sure all the config and admin has no www it works fine.

However the present of no real forum tab and that little channel thing you call a forum if you think most customers be happy with that you have another thing coming. I am warning you now.

I must tell you I am extremely disappointed with the quality of this product. Definately not worth $249.00 not even close to it. You could maybe get $69.00 for it as an addon. You could have designed this to be the next version of CMS but not as the next generation of your software forums.

Comment

• soniceffect
                • Feb 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by omegatron
                Actually I installed everything on www.domain.com

The issue is the ton of bugs including your installer in this pre-alpha software you call a beta 14.

Remember I came to you from a clean out of the box install.

If I go back and make sure all the config and admin has no www it works fine.

However the present of no real forum tab and that little channel thing you call a forum if you think most customers be happy with that you have another thing coming. I am warning you now.

I must tell you I am extremely disappointed with the quality of this product. Definately not worth $249.00 not even close to it. You could maybe get $69.00 for it as an addon. You could have designed this to be the next version of CMS but not as the next generation of your software forums.

Its configuration that is the issue m8. It is very much still a forum when the config is correct. However at the moment if you have www in your config files then thats where you must go to in your browser or it will not work (which I believe is in jira as an issue) and the same vice versa.

Just as an example to show you its very much a forum, check out what this guy has done with a new skin on b14. Other than the skin itself everything else is stock vb5 from what I can see on there. http://www.sultantheme.com/vb5connectforum/ .

EDIT: Use his theme selector on the bottom to see what is achievable. Ive only seen this today and gives me a fair amount of confidence in what I will be able to come up with myself.

- - - Updated - - -

In all honesty btw, it takes some getting used to the new config, playing around with the sitebuilder etc. However can assure you that once you start playing with it you will realise just how much potential it gives you in what you can do with the software. Agreed it is full of bugs at the moment, and I myself would not even dream of upgrading my site anytime soon, but I am looking forward to a point where I can do so as IMO this vb5 is promising indeed.
                Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• omegatron
                  • Mar 2004

Well the issue is as I stated. Beleive me I am very well aware of how to setup a configuration file.

The software itself was installed on www.domain.com all config files where www.domain.com nothing worked right. The minute I removed www from all the configs and settings things worked fine so just extremely buggy indeed still at this point. I go back to what I originally said very much an alpha product. This is very much a test forum so no worries there.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

You didn't have it configured right. This isn't a bug on our end, but its a configuration issue. Though please feel free not to believe me.

Comment