X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoGo
    • Sep 2012
    • 4.2.X

Embed Youtube video

i am currently running vB 5 Beta 14 and trying to embed a youtube video in a post.

i have tried [video ] [/video ] tages and all it does is post the link, not the video
  • Answer selected by Wayne Luke at Fri 29 Oct '21, 8:01am.
    Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This bug was fixed before the beta. if you experience currently, then there must be something wrong with the process. What is the exact code you're trying to use in your post? What is a link to the result on your site?

You don't need custom BBCodes or anything like that. Embedding YouTube videos is a default feature. Just copy the URL into the dialog box when you click the "Insert Video" icon in the editor's menu. If you really don't want to use the button. Just type [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaimKeDcudo[/video] and let the system figure it out.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 27 Oct '21, 12:15pm.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

Fixed in a near future release:

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• LCTlive
        • Oct 2021

Trevor Hannant
        Wayne Luke

Hey guys!

I'm running vBulletin 5.6.4 Patch Level 1, and I get the same result. Since Trevor's reply #2 is from 2012, can I assume this functionality works natively now? How do we enable youtube videos in posts with the preview image, not just the text link? Or should we still use BBcode?

I'm trying to use the BBcode in this old thread, but it's not working, because there is no preview image or link, just a big blank space:
        https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...youtube-videso

Originally posted by motd2 View Post
        Change your code to this:
        Code:
        <iframe width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/{param}?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        Thank you very much for that, it has worked. Very much appreciated.
        My BB Code Manager settings are attached in lct_edit_202_bbYT.png

Edited to add:
        I've also tried using YouTube's embed code from a video as a starting point in BBcode, and that seems to work.
        <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/{param}" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCTlive; Wed 27 Oct '21, 11:48am.

Comment

• lange
          • Apr 2003

edited
          Last edited by lange; Wed 27 Oct '21, 12:15pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

This bug was fixed before the beta. if you experience currently, then there must be something wrong with the process. What is the exact code you're trying to use in your post? What is a link to the result on your site?

You don't need custom BBCodes or anything like that. Embedding YouTube videos is a default feature. Just copy the URL into the dialog box when you click the "Insert Video" icon in the editor's menu. If you really don't want to use the button. Just type [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaimKeDcudo[/video] and let the system figure it out.
            Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 27 Oct '21, 12:15pm.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Can also do this by clicking the link icon in the upper left corner of the editor. Though a lot of people actually turn off the Content Types (controlled by "Can Create" permissions) and then complain that they can't create those content types.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• LCTlive
                • Oct 2021

Thanks guys. The video button wasn't working for me as expected for a few days, but now it works pretty well. Except those black top and bottom borders don't look too great, and take up room on a mobile browser.

Funny enough, I've found these forum posts if I google my forum's name, so I guess for now I'll have to include the links in an image... link and screenshot are attached. Maybe there's a best practice I'm missing here, lol.

In that screenshot, the first one used "Insert Video", and the second video used BBcode.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Except those black top and bottom borders don't look too great, and take up room on a mobile browser.
                  They are added by Youtube. Turn your phone landscape and tell the device to play the video full screen.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment