Homepage News. Promoting Articles from Forum?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

Homepage News. Promoting Articles from Forum?

What's the best method you recommend on vb5 to promote an article from the forum.

I have a homepage submission section in the forums and I'd like to be able to promote topics to the article section.

vb5 is made differently. Looking for any valid method to do this.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

It's been 2 days so I'm bumping this.

I'm sure there is a way. Haven't been able to find it.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Brad Padgett
      • Jul 2014
      • 5.1.x

Okay I'll bump again. It's been a while. Any response guys?

If there is no way to promote articles such as vB4 can you recommend any alternative. Such as moving the posts to a single forum section that will be on the homepage.

Is there a way to have a post preview to show for the news such as what is shown in the article section before you click to view the rest of the article?

Comment

• alexchar
        • Mar 2013
        • 5.1.x

I also have this questions, I can't find any way to promote them, as we could in VB4.
        Bring back hooks in vBulletin 5 Connect
        Vote here: VBV-10333
        For a better vBulletin 5 product!
        Sorry for my English!

Comment

• TLMD
          • Sep 2012
          • 5.6.X

This is currently not possible in vB5. See VBV-1684 for more information.

Comment

• Mike Lee
            • Sep 2013
            • 5.2.x

It appears this is still the case in 2016. Really wish this functionality would be brought back.

Comment

• Replicant
              • Sep 2014

It's still there but kind of obfuscated. Select the post you wish to promote to article, pull down the inline mod menu, select copy post, select Articles from the drop down, enter the title, and submit the post.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                • Jul 2014
                • 5.1.x

^ Yeah it's true.

He answered my question in a different post back when I had posted this. There is a way, just not the same as it should be.

Comment

• Mike Lee
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Replicant
                  It's still there but kind of obfuscated. Select the post you wish to promote to article, pull down the inline mod menu, select copy post, select Articles from the drop down, enter the title, and submit the post.
                  I'm excited to find out it's possible. But I must still be missing something. Now that it's copied to the Articles section how do I publish it and actually make it an article. All the other topics have "article" in front of them except the one I just copied. I also don't see it in when searching articles in the Admin CMS section.

Comment

• Mike Lee
                    Mike Lee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, the 1st 4 articles are ones I created from scratch. After that it's all old stuff from the previous version. The ones I copied do not show up. Also, in AdminCP I deleted 20 or so articles and when I un-delete them they do not show up in AdminCP either.

• Replicant
                    Replicant commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry to hear it's not working out for you. It is a workaround and the actual correct functionality isn't there.

• Mike Lee
                    Mike Lee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No worries... I do appreciate your assistance.
                • Mike Lee
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 5.2.x

Here's where the old articles are sitting and the highlighted ones are copied over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Article.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	4350501
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Article2.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	4350502

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

The content type will be wrong. It would need to be an Article content type, and there's no way to change that (other than messing about in the database, which we couldn't support).

All that moving it does is change the channel. It's 'consequential' functionality, arising from the fact that you can move nodes between channels, as opposed to any intended 'promote to article' functionality.

At present the official support line is: there is no supported way to promote threads to articles.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mike Lee
                      Mike Lee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Guess I kind of found that out the hard way. If I have to create every article manually then I might as well just make that page a static Home page.

Thanks for the info.