Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any information for developers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any information for developers?

    Couldn't find any, am I missing something?

  • #2
    Information is being collected and sorted now by the "alpha" team. By the time VB5 goes gold I would expect information to be released either here or on vBulletin.org.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      Information is being collected and sorted now by the "alpha" team. By the time VB5 goes gold I would expect information to be released either here or on vBulletin.org.
      This is rather disappointing. Given the fact that 3rd party addons are an integral part of vBulletin, I'd have expected information to be released coincidentally with the beta release.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well one reason is we don't want to release info that will change with future Beta or final release versions. I've already had to redesign some mods after finding out things no longer work like they used to work even through the VB5 alpha/beta versions. Hours of work basically rendered useless.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yellow Slider View Post
          This is rather disappointing. Given the fact that 3rd party addons are an integral part of vBulletin, I'd have expected information to be released coincidentally with the beta release.
          Well the information is being tested and vetted by top addon developers so it is accurate when we do release it.
          Translations provided by Google.

          Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            Well the information is being tested and vetted by top addon developers so it is accurate when we do release it.
            I understand that, but don't you think there's at least some information you can release now?

            There are obviously general things that would really help a lot and aren't going to drastically change in later version.

            So why not release it? I'm not asking for full documentation about everything, but I'm sure many developers would appreciate you releasing at least some​ information.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yellow Slider View Post
              So why not release it?
              Because I don't have time to release it right now. It will be released as soon as it is ready and there is time to do so.
              Translations provided by Google.

              Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

              Comment


              • #8
                I understand the need to make sure documentation is accurate and all the vital bugs are projected. However, buyers like myself are not involved in public release but still need whatever development information we can get. I didn't buy connect to immediately build a community. I bought it to I can start my development with it; connect isn't just forum software and i believe it is a major development; a lot of work on our side needs to be accomplished and by the time gold comes we can be fully prepped with our own addons and development mods.

                Is there a place where we can find more information about current documentation?

                Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                Well the information is being tested and vetted by top addon developers so it is accurate when we do release it.
                Last edited by emptyconnection; Sun 23rd Sep '12, 11:50am. Reason: more info, spell check :)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  Because I don't have time to release it right now. It will be released as soon as it is ready and there is time to do so.
                  Great, thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by emptyconnection View Post
                    I understand the need to make sure documentation is accurate and all the vital bugs are projected. However, buyers like myself are not involved in public release but still need whatever development information we can get. I didn't buy connect to immediately build a community. I bought it to I can start my development with it;
                    Start reading the vB5 code and you could also check the code from already exsting vB5 addons http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=258
                    Not sent from my iPhone and not using any browser attaching any 3rd party advertisement to my posts

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The best way to see how VB5 Mods work are to download the VB5 mods currently on vBulletin.org and see how they are written.

                      I can tell you this-

                      Product IDs now mean something. When you create a product make sure there is no underscore or special characters in the product id.

                      Then you must create a folder inside the /core/packages/ folder with your product id...

                      so if the product id is "mymodxxx"

                      You need to make a folder /core/packages/mymodxxx

                      Inside mymodxxx folder you want probably at least an /api/ and /xml/ subfolders.

                      in the /xml/ subfolder go all the xml files you used to put in /includes/xml/ in VB 3 & VB4, AS WELL AS the Product XML file you export from Product Manager when it is done (necessary to use the new auto-install feature)

                      in the /api/ folder you put files with the same name as files inside /core/vb/api/ folder that contain your own code... From this point I say start looking at the existing mods for how things are done.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Leinad_r View Post
                        Start reading the vB5 code and you could also check the code from already exsting vB5 addons http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=258
                        Already being done. Thanks for the info, Leinad_r.

                        Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                        The best way to see how VB5 Mods work are to download the VB5 mods currently on vBulletin.org and see how they are written.

                        I can tell you this-

                        Product IDs now mean something. When you create a product make sure there is no underscore or special characters in the product id.

                        Then you must create a folder inside the /core/packages/ folder with your product id...

                        so if the product id is "mymodxxx"

                        You need to make a folder /core/packages/mymodxxx

                        Inside mymodxxx folder you want probably at least an /api/ and /xml/ subfolders.

                        in the /xml/ subfolder go all the xml files you used to put in /includes/xml/ in VB 3 & VB4, AS WELL AS the Product XML file you export from Product Manager when it is done (necessary to use the new auto-install feature)

                        in the /api/ folder you put files with the same name as files inside /core/vb/api/ folder that contain your own code... From this point I say start looking at the existing mods for how things are done.
                        ^^ Now THIS is exactly what I was asking for. Little tidbits of very useful info. Thanks Joe.

                        I used to play with vb back in vb3 days. Had a lot of fun and man things sure have changed with the the release of connect. I'm glad its out right now so I can try to catch up before it goes gold.
                        Last edited by emptyconnection; Mon 24th Sep '12, 2:37pm. Reason: spell check :)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                          The best way to see how VB5 Mods work are to download the VB5 mods currently on vBulletin.org and see how they are written.

                          I can tell you this-

                          Product IDs now mean something. When you create a product make sure there is no underscore or special characters in the product id.

                          Then you must create a folder inside the /core/packages/ folder with your product id...

                          so if the product id is "mymodxxx"

                          You need to make a folder /core/packages/mymodxxx

                          Inside mymodxxx folder you want probably at least an /api/ and /xml/ subfolders.

                          in the /xml/ subfolder go all the xml files you used to put in /includes/xml/ in VB 3 & VB4, AS WELL AS the Product XML file you export from Product Manager when it is done (necessary to use the new auto-install feature)

                          in the /api/ folder you put files with the same name as files inside /core/vb/api/ folder that contain your own code... From this point I say start looking at the existing mods for how things are done.
                          Thanks for the info, but this I could gather from looking at some mods posted on vB.org.

                          However, there are still tons of stuff that are unclear.

                          For example, how do you extend other things, beside the API?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yellow Slider View Post
                            Thanks for the info, but this I could gather from looking at some mods posted on vB.org.

                            However, there are still tons of stuff that are unclear.

                            For example, how do you extend other things, beside the API?
                            Once you have extended the vBulletin extensions class, You are currently in the api core of vBulletin

                            All of these information will be in the documentation, Just wait until Wayne took the documentations from alpha team to the public forums.
                            Marco Mamdouh Fahem.
                            OUZMind Lead Developers
                            vBFoster Lead Developers

                            Comment

                            Related Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X