X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OverHere
    • Sep 2010

VB5 missing features

Hello,

I note that in VB5 there are several missing features which are present in VB4, such as 'FAQ', & 'Member List'.

The question is, in time, will you eventually be releasing versions of VB5 which will include all such missing features or will such missing features always be excluded?

And, shouldn't all such missing options definitely have been included within VB5 from the start so that VB5 is infact a comprehensive, next stage release of VB4? (As opposed to missing what may be very useful features for established VB4 forum owners?)

Thank you,

O.H.
  • baerwurz
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.8.x

There are forum statistics missing too, i hope they will be included before it goes gold.
    Onlinekredit | Fussball | Fußball Community

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by baerwurz
      There are forum statistics missing too, i hope they will be included before it goes gold.
      Unlikely any new/missing features will be added before Gold now. Future release possibly, but make sure there's a vB5 tracker entry for it.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• OverHere
        • Sep 2010

Thanks - what's a 'vB5 tracker'? What does it do? I am soon upgrading to 4.2.0 so where is this 'vB5 Tracker' and what do I do then?

Please advise so I can tell my tech team.

O.H.

Comment

• joeychgo
          • Mar 2004

the tracker has absolutely nothing to do with your site or your installation. Its basically a log system here at vBulletin for reporting and tracking bugs.
          Building my Automotive Forum Network...
          Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

There is no intention at this time to restore the Member's List that I am aware of.

The FAQ should return in a future release.

Originally posted by OverHere
            And, shouldn't all such missing options definitely have been included within VB5 from the start so that VB5 is infact a comprehensive, next stage release of VB4? (As opposed to missing what may be very useful features for established VB4 forum owners?)
            Not always feasible in a rewrite. I mean it can be done but there is always a time limit of sorts. Some lesser used features have been deliberately removed. Others will return.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dilbert
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              There is no intention at this time to restore the Member's List that I am aware of.
              Why was this removed?
              Cliff
              PathLabTalk
              Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dilbert
                Why was this removed?
                I would say that it is a low use feature, especially among big boards. Combine that with a more one-to-one approach with subscribers and following people, it doesn't really seem necessary.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ramsesx
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I would say that it is a low use feature, especially among big boards. Combine that with a more one-to-one approach with subscribers and following people, it doesn't really seem necessary.
                  Just had on a small board a question for the member list. If we remove all "low use features" there is a lot more what can be removed, user groups, todays posts, a lot of the user settings, calendar, and so on.
                  If we follow this way we can remove really a lot. But taken all removed features together gives a completely new picture.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dilbert
                      • Oct 2004

That's frustrating, I use it occasionally.

I hope a lot of low use features aren't removed, it looks so featureless as it is.

Hopefully a new beta will emerge soon. I'm sure lots of users are already looking at other solutions, I'd prefer not to be one of them, but from what I've seen and read so far, this looks very disappointing. I want to be able to upgrade what I have, and have users be able to... well, use it. I don't run a technology site and many of my users are not computer savvy. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what vB5 is. I have a forum now and want a forum if I upgrade.
                      Cliff
                      PathLabTalk
                      Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• OverHere
                        • Sep 2010

I think a large number of established or fast growing VB4 forum owners will be very reluctant to upgrade to VB5 in it's current form. Needless to say, I think the jump to VB5 is way too premature and clearly not at all thought out well in any way or form. The demo is very discouraging indeed. I am sure many others will share my view...

I sincerely hope that the very first post-gold version of VB5 will be made out to be an enhnacement of VB4 - not half an empty shell of what VB4's latest version is.

Comment

• Alfa1
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

How do you or vBS come to this conclusion? Many sites have member list enabled. I know that some big boards do not, but many do have it, including my big board.

I wonder why vBS has not sent out a survey to everyone to get a real idea of low use features. I think that would have been useful. I think you are mistaking a popular feature for a low use feature. Similar to the reputation system. I'm sure that people will want this back.

The reason that various big boards do not use memberlist is two fold:
                          1. the query of death
                          2. spammer risks

Both reasons can be resolved. The query of death is likely not present anymore in vb5. And spammer risks can be resolved by just adding usergroup permissions.
                          A third reason not to use member list is that its grossly out of date in terms of functionality. But vb5 is an excellent opportunity to bring memberlist up to date.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Just because you weren't asked about every feature added or removed, doesn't mean customers weren't asked. There will never be a consensus among all customers. You are welcome to add a rational JIRA Entry to have it replaced in the future.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Alfa1
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Just because you weren't asked about every feature added or removed, doesn't mean customers weren't asked. There will never be a consensus among all customers. You are welcome to add a rational JIRA Entry to have it replaced in the future.
                              I don't expect to be asked about the removal of features. But AFAIK there was no customer survey sent to a significant number of customers. I expect that such would yield relevant data about what features are truly low use. Was there any kind of survey/polling about the use of features and were a significant number of customers asked?
                              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Loco.M
                                Loco.M commented
                                Editing a comment
                                ib is the customer