X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XGC Paravain
    • Sep 2012
    • 4.2.X

Having trouble with the downloading process

Im a new member of vbulletin and just purchased vbulletin 5 and have not made it passed the download part yet lol it wants me to submit my URL to my site but I have not created my site yet it says where my forums are installed or where I intend to install. thats where im lost where would I go where would I install them and how do I get the URL? and how many programs am I going to have to download to download and install the vbullietin software?
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by XGC Paravain
    Im a new member of vbulletin and just purchased vbulletin 5 and have not made it passed the download part yet lol it wants me to submit my URL to my site but I have not created my site yet it says where my forums are installed or where I intend to install. thats where im lost where would I go ?
    To enter your URL (domain) is part of the process.
    where would I install them and how do I get the URL? ?
    You need to contact a provider where you want your site to be hosted. Such a package is usually combined with a URL (domain) you like to use. Make sure you choose a provider where the minimum and recommended system requirements fit your wishes.
    and how many programs am I going to have to download to download and install the vbullietin software?
    All you need is to download vBulletin from your customer area. There are no more programs needed.
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• XGC Paravain
      • Sep 2012
      • 4.2.X

So my URL would be from my domain like go daddy? I have not done that yet because im still thinking of a name for my site but wanted to get started do I need a name and a domain from (example) go daddy before I begin?

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

So my URL would be from my domain like go daddy? I have not done that yet because im still thinking of a name for my site but wanted to get started do I need a name and a domain from (example) go daddy before I begin?
        Yes, you need a domain. That's what I meant... So if you just want to test the software before going life, you could work with htaccess at the beginning in order to OK with the software. As soon as you are done to configure you system, you remove the htaccess an the site will be online.

Comment

• XGC Paravain
          • Sep 2012
          • 4.2.X

Ok I think im understanding better and makes more sense now ok so I want to come up with a name for my site get the domain and that is where I will install my forums in my domain

Comment

• Hartmut
            • Nov 2007
            • 4.2.x

Ok I think im understanding better and makes more sense now ok so I want to come up with a name for my site get the domain and that is where I will install my forums in my domain
            That's correct.

Comment

• XGC Paravain
              • Sep 2012
              • 4.2.X

Thank you I appreciate your help and im working on that now keep you updated

Comment

• XGC Paravain
                • Sep 2012
                • 4.2.X

Ok now I have a domain and a database and im using Filezilla but its not connecting what im I doing wrong? what should my servername say Local Host im using go daddy other then that I cant think of nothing else im doing wrong

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

GoDaddy should have given you your FTP information to connect to the server. Usually though it is your domain name.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• XGC Paravain
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 4.2.X

Oh I see lol I Been all over go daddy didn't see any thing about servername I will try my domain name see if that works thanks

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

When you sign up with them they should send you a welcome package via email. It would be in that package.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• XGC Paravain
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 4.2.X

I will check that out thanks

- - - Updated - - -

still not working. not understanding and all out of idea's. Where would I find my serversname?

Comment

• XGC Paravain
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 4.2.X

Now I ran in to another problem I got FileZilla to say Directory Listing Successful but its not transferring any files to my website

Comment

• AzhriaLilu
                            • Aug 2003

In FileZilla, once you've logged into the site, you need to navigate to the public_html folder first. Ensure you've unzipped the vB zip file you've downloaded, and navigate into the upload folder within it. Highlight all the folders you see in there and rightclick and select upload (ensure you've edited your two config files before uploading).

Click image for larger version

Name:	publichtml.png
Views:	2
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	3690391Click image for larger version

Name:	upload.png
Views:	1
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	3690392
                            I know violence isn't the answer . . . I got it wrong on purpose
                            Rep Owners - New forum for reptile owners/lovers
                            sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...