X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy
    • Jan 2002
    • 4.1.x

What is the database stucture like?

From what I can gather the new vB5 uses one table to store all the data, is this correct?
  • Marco Mamdouh
    • Oct 2008

Not a one table for the whole vBulletin script, But there's a one table for all of the content and it's called "node" so forums and threads ... etc are nodes.
    Marco Mamdouh Fahem.
    OUZMind Lead Developers
    vBFoster Lead Developers

Comment

• Shamil.
      • Feb 2008
      • 4.2.X

200 tables.
      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
      vBulletin Hosting and Services
      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Marco Mamdouh
        Not a one table for the whole vBulletin script, But there's a one table for all of the content and it's called "node" so forums and threads ... etc are nodes.
        Thank you Mamdouh and Shamil.

Could you explain a little bit more regarding this 'node' table. It must have many fields to be able to combine several tables that were once separate tables in vB4.

It would be interesting to know what tables were combined into this one 'node' table.

Comment

• Marco Mamdouh
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Andy
          Thank you Mamdouh and Shamil.

Could you explain a little bit more regarding this 'node' table. It must have many fields to be able to combine several tables that were once separate tables in vB4.

It would be interesting to know what tables were combined into this one 'node' table.
          It's a long story I'd say

However in a short answer is yes, There's 54 fields in node table that controls the node viewing operation, And there's content type and routes which are controlling what is this node belong to.
          Marco Mamdouh Fahem.
          OUZMind Lead Developers
          vBFoster Lead Developers

Comment

• Andy
            • Jan 2002
            • 4.1.x

Thank you Marco.

Is this node table just like any other table in mySQL, meaning it has rows and fields.

Could you expand explain a little bit what you mean by "And there's content type and routes which are controlling what is this node belong to".

Comment

• Marco Mamdouh
              • Oct 2008

For sure any table should has rows and fields, That's how MySQL tables are work
              I can't do that in a reply because by this I'm going to explain the whole new vBulletin 5 system, I'd suggest install vB5 and check it out.
              Marco Mamdouh Fahem.
              OUZMind Lead Developers
              vBFoster Lead Developers

Comment

• Dead Eddie
                • Apr 2004
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Andy
                Thank you Marco.

Is this node table just like any other table in mySQL, meaning it has rows and fields.

Could you expand explain a little bit what you mean by "And there's content type and routes which are controlling what is this node belong to".
                Think of nodes as defining the structure of your site. Forums, threads, blogs, and placeholders for the content beneath. The disparate content types that 5 supports each have their own table for their own specific content (text, photo, link, & poll are the ones I remember being there).

If you've got the publishing suite, it's EXACTLY the same idea on the CMS. Sections/Articles were both nodes, but articles have a separate table that contained the text information.

Comment

• Andy
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 4.1.x

Thanks Dead Eddie. I don't have the suite so not able to see what you mean.

How does a node table define a structure? Perhaps an example of how a thread information is stored. You have the threadid, postid and pagetext, how is it different now?

Comment

• Dead Eddie
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 3.7.x

Think of the structure your forum. You've got categories, forums under those categories, threads within the forums, and posts within the threads. Within 5, the first 3 are contained entirely within the node table.

Posts also sit on the node table, but because there is extra information needed to store posts (e.g. the post text), the extra information is stored within a new "text" table that is used for all the other text content types (blog posts, private messages, comments).

So, category is a node, forum is a node, thread is a node, and post is a node joined to text.

Comment

• Andy
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Dead Eddie

Posts also sit on the node table, but because there is extra information needed to store posts (e.g. the post text), the extra information is stored within a new "text" table that is used for all the other text content types (blog posts, private messages, comments).
                      I think I'm starting to understand why this schema is used. For example if you want to search for a word, one query can search all the content types as opposed to searching several tables.

Thank you Eddie.

Comment

• pokesph
                        • Apr 2003

nodes as in Drupal type nodes?
                        Steve, Webmaster and Admin
                        www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• Dead Eddie
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by pokesph
                          nodes as in Drupal type nodes?
                          Personally, I'm not familiar enough with Drupal nodes to answer. What specifically were you comparing?

If you wanted to compare to something, I'd compare with the vb4 CMS nodes. The database structure is virtually identical.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...