X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Qzaki
    • May 2011
    • 3.8.x

Styles & Skins

In all that I've seen of vBulletin5 styles & skins dont seem to be the same.. Is vBulletin still going to be heavily customisable with plugins and custom styles etc?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

What do you mean don't seem to be the same?

You will have full access to the source code, and can still customize templates/html/css/etc

Comment

• Qzaki
      • May 2011
      • 3.8.x

Ah that's good. In all the previews and stuff I just didn't see anyway of making your own skins etc. Are plugins still going to available?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Plugin system & addons are an entirely different beast, but they are possible.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You don't have access to the AdminCP so you wouldn't be able to make styles currently.

As for Plugins, these have been replaced with a new system. Addon Developers are already at work with several addons available to beta testers. More will become available over time. The software is still very extendible.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Qzaki
            • May 2011
            • 3.8.x

Is there any images of videos of the adminCP and such yet? I'm really eager to buy this as I am a skin developer but I don't want to waste my money.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

The only videos so far are here: http://www.vbulletin.com/learn-more/
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mark99
                • Oct 2002

Does this mean that all past vB4 plugins will not work with vB5? Though it's normal for some things to break, many of us rely on some familiarity with past systems in order to fix those and resolve other integration issues.

Also vB4 was just terrible, when compared to vB3, in terms of the ease to which we could implement it into our existing design (e.g. stylevars were the bain of my existence and continue to be). Have you corrected this with vB5 so that the forum style doesn't attempt to dominate the entire site?

We want the forum to integrate into the dominance of our main style, not the forums own style, with just some simple editing of the header/footer code, which was possible with vB3 with just 2 hours of work but took two weeks to correctly figure out for us when vB4 came out! Even then we still don't quite know how it works .

From all the videos I've seen it looks like vB5 is still attempting to dominate everything rather than be an easy to integrate solution. We don't want this. If vB5 does this and breaks past mods then it will be time for us to choose a new solution after nearly a decade of being vB users. We can’t afford the cost of having to spend days trying to stop vB code from trying to overrule our own style / header / footers with another ugly mess etc.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

No VB4 Plugins/Products will work with VB5. Every "mod" needs to be rewritten from the ground up.

The new system should prove to give us better quality mods in the long run. Short term there will be some getting used to it.

It will take time but some popular coders were included in the VB5 Beta testing team and already have several mods available, likely they will start to release them later today now that VB5 is available.

Comment

• Yves R.
                    vBulletin QA
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 5.6.X

Everything is removed on upgrade without removing your data.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...