"Edit Conversation: Unexpected Error.." when trying to post.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdj
    • Jan 2009
    • 5.1.x

"Edit Conversation: Unexpected Error.." when trying to post.

I've set up a test registered user on my test installation of vB5. I'm just trying to post as that user. I can go to the required forum, hit "New Topic" and type my post. As soon as I hit post I get the error message "Edit Conversation An unexpected error was returned: '241' "

If I keep trying I get the same error message but 242, 243 etc.

What does this error message mean?

PS: Looking at the permissions for registered users for this forum, "can post topics" and "can reply to topics" are both set to yes. So as far as I can see it ought to be possible to post.
    Last edited by jdj; Fri 3 Oct '14, 8:55am.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

That seems to be the nodeid of the post you just created. Did you check if the post is being created anyway despite of the error?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• jdj
      • Jan 2009
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
      That seems to be the nodeid of the post you just created. Did you check if the post is being created anyway despite of the error?
      The post isn't created. If I log back in with the same test id, go back to the same place I get the "restore autosaved content" message. If I restore the autosaved content my original message appears. However, if I then post I get the same error message.

vB5 seems to be full of inscrutable error messages....it is the Fu Manchu of internet fora....
      Last edited by jdj; Fri 3 Oct '14, 9:14am.

Comment

• jdj
        • Jan 2009
        • 5.1.x

Just gone back in as the administrator ...(my login id one, the one that actually runs the entire site and tried to post something on the same forum). My post now comes up as "Unapproved post needs to be approved." If I go back and make myself a moderator of that forum (can't see why I'd have to do this) then navigate back to the same post it still says "unapproved". If I go back to the admincp and make this administrator one of the moderators of this forum then navigate back to the post then it still shows as unapproved. However, I can select it and approve it.

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

That sounds like a bug that was recently fixed. Are you running 5.1.3?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• jdj
            • Jan 2009
            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
            That sounds like a bug that was recently fixed. Are you running 5.1.3?
            I'm on 5.1.2 PL3. So it's a bug with that version?

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

There was a bug I was thinking of that was fixed that did what you are saying, but it seems there are others still not fixed. Are either of these your issue?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

You should upgrade to 5.1.3.

Comment

• jdj
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                  There was a bug I was thinking of that was fixed that did what you are saying, but it seems there are others still not fixed. Are either of these your issue?

I don't know without testing the "can comment" setting. The issue we are having is that the other users on our test site can't reply or contribute even if we have moderation turned off. I haven't checked the "can comment" settings yet.

Comment

• jdj
                    jdj commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I still haven't tried the "can comment" settings, but I just upgrade to 5.1.3 and tried to reply to a test post as the administrator (user id. 1). It came up highlighted in green as "unapproved".
                • jdj
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  And will that fix all my problems? Can users create a topic or reply to a topic on an unmoderated forum without being given an error message in 5.1.3?

Comment

• jdj
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 5.1.x

I just discovered something else that's odd whilst still trying to work out why my posts are moderated.

On my test site for historical reasons to do with what I was doing with the 4 series I have a number of super moderators. If I go to "admincp", "channel management", "show all moderators" that gives me three subsections, "last online", "super moderators" and "moderators". The moderators section is presently accurate as I just removed all the other moderators bar one to start testing again.

If I look in this section at the list of "supermoderators" I have 7 registered users listed as "supermoderators". However, if I then go to "admincp", "users", "search for users" choose only the supermoderators group and hit "search" that only brings up one supermoderator. I'm guessing that's a bug because I can't think of any logical reason for it.

Bug report here.

On my test installation if I go to any of the individual user profiles for the users listed in the "super moderators" most of them don not have the box ticked for "super moderators" but they still appear in the list.

I think the list of "moderators" may be working and may be unaffected.
                    Last edited by jdj; Mon 6 Oct '14, 9:24am.

Comment

• jdj
                      jdj commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For the benefit of anybody else reading this thread I got the following response to my bug report. "The Super Moderators list displays any and every user that is in an usergroup with the "Can Moderate All Forums (is Super Moderator)" usergroup permission set to Yes, which isn't necessarily just the Super Moderators usergroup (in fact, by default also the Administrators usergroup has that permission set to Yes)."

So essentially the list of supermoderators isn't a list of the supermoderators group.
                  • magnusson2u
                    • Dec 2002

I have the same issue. I'm running the newest, VB 5.1.3.... I tried to create a thread in 1 of my forums and got this (However I can create threads in other forums:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 1.22.48 AM.png
Views:	99
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	4165985
                    Last edited by magnusson2u; Mon 6 Oct '14, 9:31pm.

Comment

• jdj
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by magnusson2u
                      I have the same issue. I'm running the newest, VB 5.1.3.... I tried to create a thread in 1 of my forums and got this (However I can create threads in other forums:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n4165985[/ATTACH]
                      It's an odd error message "Edit Conversation"....odd to be given something saying*"Edit* when all you are trying to do is to publish a *new* post or thread. Your "Edit Conversation" error message doesn't present the same way as mine though.

Comment

• jdj
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                        So. Where I am up to is:

- I have upgraded my test site to 5.1.3
                        - I have checked that the "registered user" usergroup has (a) require moderation set to "no", and (b) follow forum moderation rules set to "yes."
                        - I have cleared out some of my old forums and usergroups
                        - I have reset permissions in all the old forums
                        - I have removed all the moderators from all the forums in the admincp: The list of "super moderators" remains in the show moderators section of channel manager, although I've shortened the list by removing some of the old usergroups.

Each time I log in to the site as a test user I still get the same error message as I got at the start of this thread. When I log back in as an admin I see from the admin control panel that there is a post needing to be approved, although I can't click through to posts needing moderation because the link to posts needing moderation from admin home does not work. However, if I go to the forum where I just tried to place the post as a test user, the post is there waiting to be approved. I can approve it or delete it.

If I try and post as an *admin" I don't get the error message. However, my post appears as "unapproved" and I then have to "approve" it.

So posts are appearing as unapproved despite the fact that the settings are set such that no moderation is required and follow forum moderation rules are set to yes. And this error message appears to relate to posting as a non-admin with the forum in this state.

We didn't have this problem in 4.2.2.PL1, we just upgraded the test installation from 4.2.2.PL1 to 5.x. So where is the mystery setting requiring approval of posts in 5.1.3?

Comment

• jdj
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                          The post is being created despite the error but it needs to be approved.

Comment