• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THETMZ
    • Nov 2006
    • 5.0.X

Meta description problem. Urgent help needed

Hello,
    I run rather big forum related to bodybuilding. Yesterday it was upgraded to vBulletin 5 (previously vB4). Currently the board is down, because there are some problems with meta descriptions.

After upgrade, all posts now share the same meta description (i think it comes from forum description). In order to change this - you have to edit + save each post, then it saves meta description from post content (as it should be). But re-editing all posts it would be an overkill. How to solve this problem in my board? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
  • THETMZ
    • Nov 2006
    • 5.0.X

Nobody has experienced such failure...? Still looking forward to your help guys. Our board is experiencing huge downtime..

Thx

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Not sure why the board needs to be down because of a meta description.

There's no way to mass populate the meta fields with post-specific details.

In vB4, this wasn't available at all and the meta descriptions were the same for every page, unless you had an add on to change this behaviour.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

vBulletin 4 didn't save unique meta descriptions per topic. vBulletin 5 does. As new posts are created they should have new meta description. AS Meta Descriptions aren't used for ranking there isn't really a large detriment here.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment