X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjclas
    • Aug 2012
    • 4.2.X

Should I convert my tables to InnoDB?

I upgraded to vBulletin 5 from vB4 and at that time all the tables were installed as MyISAM. The tables are all still defined as MyISAM, but I've read for vB4 InnoDB is recommended. Should I be converting all my tables to InnoDB and is there anything special I need to be concerned with when I convert them?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Which tables are currently myISAM?

Comment

• pjclas
      • Aug 2012
      • 4.2.X

Now that you mention it, I do see some vB5 tables are indeed InnoDB. However, the following tables are MyISAM. Should any of them be converted?

access action activitystream activitystreamtype ad adcriteria adminhelp administrator adminlog adminmessage adminutil album albumupdate announcement announcementread apiclient apilog apipost attachment attachmentcategory attachmentcategoryuser attachmentpermission attachmenttype attachmentviews avatar bbcode bbcode_video block blockconfig blocktype blog blog_text bookmarksite cache cacheevent calendar calendarcustomfield calendarmoderator calendarpermission contentpriority contentread contenttype cron cronlog customavatar customprofile customprofilepic datastore dbquery dbtech_vbshout_button dbtech_vbshout_command deletionlog discussion discussionread editlog event externalcache faq filedata forum forumpermission forumread forumrunner_push_data forumrunner_push_users groupmessage groupmessage_hash groupread holiday humanverify hvanswer hvquestion icon imagecategory imagecategorypermission impexerror indexqueue infraction infractionban infractiongroup infractionlevel ipdata language mailqueue mgc_cb_evo_bot_auto moderation moderator moderatorlog navigation notice noticecriteria noticedismissed package passwordhistory paymentapi paymentinfo paymenttransaction phrase phrasetype picturecomment picturecomment_hash picturelegacy plugin pm pmreceipt pmtext pmthrottle podcast podcastitem poll pollvote post postedithistory posthash postlog postparsed postrelease prefix prefixpermission prefixset product productcode productdependency profileblockprivacy profilefield profilefieldcategory profilevisitor ranks reminder reputation reputationlevel route rssfeed rsslog searchcore searchcore_text searchgroup searchgroup_text searchlog setting settinggroup sigparsed sigpic skimlinks smilie socialgroup socialgroupcategory socialgroupicon socialgroupmember spamlog stats strikes style stylevar stylevardfn subscribediscussion subscribeevent subscribeforum subscribegroup subscribethread subscription subscriptionlog subscriptionpermission tachyforumcounter tachyforumpost tachythreadcounter tachythreadpost tag tagcontent tagsearch template templatehistory templatemerge thread threadrate threadread threadredirect threadviews upgradelog user useractivation userban userchangelog usercss usercsscache userfield usergroup usergroupleader usergrouprequest userlist usernote userpromotion usertextfield usertitle vbfields visitormessage visitormessage_hash

I'm particularly concerned about the cache table because it grows nonstop to over 40G! I have to clear the System Cache on my site daily or I run out of hard disk space!

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

cache, cacheevent, datastore, user would be good choices.

Disable the guest cache, that should help bring your cache table more inline.

How big is your site?

Also recommend upgrading to 5.1.2.

Assuming you're on a dedicated server, we can probably discuss some other optimizations if you'd like we can start a ticket to get help with that.

Comment

• pjclas
          • Aug 2012
          • 4.2.X

Not sure how to answer how big my site is. It contains some user data that amounts to about 30G in size to track playstation trophies. The site is psntrophyleaders.com. It is running in a dedicated cloud env on digitalocean. I didn't have the problem with the cache table until vb5 and all the writes are causing slowdowns. I'd very much appreciate any help so if a ticket would get me help I'm all for it! . I was holding off upgrading to 5.2 because I have made some customizations to the core code. I've written defects up and they've been accepted so I was waiting for that to upgrade unless there is a good reason to.

Comment

• pjclas
            • Aug 2012
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
            Assuming you're on a dedicated server, we can probably discuss some other optimizations if you'd like we can start a ticket to get help with that.
            I'd like to start a ticket as you suggest. I have to clear my system cache every morning to ensure the hard disk has room. And as I said, there is 40G of free space being sucked up by the caching. I do have a shoutbox and tapatalk plugins installed so perhaps they are causing this somehow. Either way, I need some help figuring out what's going on here. So how do I go about starting an appropriate ticket?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...