X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finger78
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

Error when signing up as a new user.

When people attempt to sign up for my forums (5.1.2 RC2) they are met with the following error when hitting the 'Complete Signup" button.

Code:
    Sorry, but the server is not responding properly to information requests. This may be a momentary problem. If you continue to receive this message and the site is otherwise functioning, please contact the site administrator.
    This is a very new installation on vBulletin and has almost no mods etc installed.

I do have reCaptcha, and anti-spam api keys entered (all three default options in VB)
  • Finger78
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

It appears this may be related to reCapthca, I used the default image verification option and I was able to register without issue. Could someone please explain how I can correct this issue?

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

I have seen this happen on reCaptcha sometimes, I don't believe there is a particular "fix".

To be honest, reCaptcha has long been "cracked", (not to mention it being incredibly annoying for users).

You would be much better using a strong series of questions for verification purposes....at least six, and not simple ones like "What is 2 + 2" as those will be cracked easily.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Finger78
        • Feb 2007
        • 3.6.x

Well that is disappointing to hear, could you give a few examples of what you would consider to be good Q&A questions to utilize?

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

The ones you come up with on your own, that is relevant to the topic of your site are the best questions to use.,

Comment

• Finger78
            • Feb 2007
            • 3.6.x

I will develop questions of my own, but I was wanting some examples to use to gauge formating and answer types. I think the issue is trying to develop questions hard enough to slow down bots but not so hard as to prevent actual users from registering.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Its not about being hard enough to slow down bots. Its about using a question that is relevant to the topic of your site. Bots generally are not programmed to deal with SPECIALIZED sites, which have custom capcha. Every vBulletin site uses Q&A which means it requires some level of manual input, which puts the effort to reward ratio way to high. They go else where.

Comment

• Finger78
                • Feb 2007
                • 3.6.x

While I didn't really make any questions that were super specific to my site's topic, I think I did make some that require thought to answer and none of them have the answer in the question itself. An examples of the type of questions I created are: (these are not ones used on my site)

Q. What is the name of the 4th planet in our solar system?
                A. mars

Q. What metal harms Werewolves?
                A. silver

Would these be good or bad to use?

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Try them, see how it goes, specific to your site topic would be way better though.

Comment

• PiotrGT1
                    • Nov 2014
                    • 5.1.x

so, the solution remains the same? I posted about this here
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...50#post4242950

http://granturismo.pl/forum/register please someone check whether your getting the same error

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

You might want to stop posting in 6+month old threads, and open your own.

Comment