X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dachtera
    • Aug 2012
    • 3.8.x

Extreme Long Post Times

We have been having significantly long post times when posting in threads since the 5.x upgrade. It is often 60+ seconds to post a simply two or three sentence post.

This is what I have received back from the web host:
    ----- I am working with the hosting engineers and here is there findings.

I believe the issue is a combination of using ajax to post your replies and the redirects you have in place for this forum. (The application's baseurl is set to /vb5, your htaccess rewrites all requests for /vb5, and then the application does further routing to /forum/test-forum). I've tested the database connection on your server and all seems well. Furthermore, my debugging tools indicate that the request is hanging while communicating with the server which would indeed indicate a redirect issue.

Understanding that vBulletin is dictating the use of ajax and speeds use to be fine, I am guessing that ajax has little to do with it. However, if the forum is doing several redirects for every action, that certainly could have it chasing its tail. Are you able to look into the base url and what the htaccess has going on for redirects?
    -----

Can you please advise how we can go about tuning to speed up the post times? I had followed the setup information properly, and had support from the support staff when initially setting up, however due to the broken notification system, we had little to no activity on our forum since October and this was not noticed until recent when traffic significantly picked up.

Thank You,

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Please provide the following information.
    1. PHP Version
    2. MySQL Version
    3. Any Addons installed
    4. Does the issue occur in a default style?
    5. Does the issue occur using the English language provided?
    6. Error message on the screen'
    7. Browser and Browser version used.
    8. A list of steps that can be used to recreate the issue.

You can find your MySQL version under Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Server Variables -> MySQL Settings

You can find your PHP version in the AdminCP under Maintenance -> View PHPInfo

You can find your addons in the Admin CP under Hooks & Products -> Manage Products.

To create a new default style go to Styles & Templates -> Style Manager and click Add New Style. Set "Parent" to none, give it a name and save.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dachtera
      • Aug 2012
      • 3.8.x

Hello Wayne, Here is the information you were looking for:
      1. PHP Version: 5.3.28
      2. MySQL Version: 5.0.8 pulled from the phpinfo() data, as MySQL version not available in MySQL settings from Server Variables.
      3. Any Addons installed: ForumRunner
      4. yes, no added styles are used.
      5. yes, standard language (us) used.
      6. No Error message - only a long delay of 'working'
      7. Safari, Firefox and IE, current versions on both PC and Mac.
      8. Reply to, or create any new post in a thread, the delay is produced.

Comment

• dachtera
        • Aug 2012
        • 3.8.x

Any update on this? I am getting hounded by the site owners to resolve this. We can pay for a support incident if that is needed to get this resolved ASAP.

Comment

• dachtera
          • Aug 2012
          • 3.8.x

Any update on this? I am getting hounded by the site owners to resolve this. We can pay for a support incident if that is needed to get this resolved ASAP.

Thank you!

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

vBulletin 5 shouldn't even be able to install into MySQL 5.0.x, you should get MySQL updated to 5.5 or 5.6 ASAP. You should also upgrade to PHP 5.4

Are you running 5.1.2?

Comment

• dachtera
              • Aug 2012
              • 3.8.x

We are on MySQL 5.5 and PHP 5.4 currently (updated in hosting providers cPanel) and the same 40-60 second delay still persists. What do you have for input for the initial comment from the hosting engineers about the redirect.

Comment

• dachtera
                • Aug 2012
                • 3.8.x

Any update on this? If we cannot resolve this ASAP, I am going to be forced revert to V4 and lose all our data because this delay is not acceptable to post a topic or comment. - Our group IS willing to pay for support to get this resolve immediately. Our 'season' is starting, and we cannot have this type of delay, our users will not visit the site.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

It is an issue that we're working on. If you actually navigate from the "Working" after say about 5-10 seconds does the content actually post? We don't have a specific fix at this time though. I know this doesn't solve the actual problem but it is still something we're working to resolve. It doesn't happen on most installations.
                  Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 11 Jul '14, 10:57am.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dachtera
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 3.8.x

Thanks Wayne, I the post does go, it just doesn't refresh in a timely manner.. Would you suggest going to 5.1.2 as you're running here, or are there other issues in there I should be aware of? the group is at wits end at this point and it just needs to 'work' for the average user

Comment

• dachtera
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 3.8.x

Any updates/suggestion on switching to 5.1.2 or a solve for this? I have very upset site owners, and I have no information to provide them. - Again, the group is more than willing to pay for support to have someone from VB review the config.

Thanks!

Comment

• dachtera
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 3.8.x

This was just sent to me by one of the site owners, another error message that came up while posting to an existing thread. He received it a few times in a short duration while trying to post. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-07-13 at 5.35.05 PM.png
Views:	70
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	4095077
                        Attached Files

Comment

• dachtera
                          • Aug 2012
                          • 3.8.x

Update anyone? Again - We need to get this resolve as soon as possible, and WILL GLADLY pay a support incident to have it resolve if 5.1.2 upgrade will not resolve the issue.

Comment