X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chad Waite
    • May 2014
    • 5.0.X

RSS Feeds Won't Work

I can't get my RSS feeds to work. I've set the Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> External Data Provider -> Enable RSS Syndication option to "yes" and saved multiple times, but no feed options are shown on the forum.

I've also tried to manually construct an RSS url and it still yields nothing. Examples:

Overall forum RSS Link: http://dev.avantshare.com/forums/external.php?type=rss2
    Specific forum RSS Link: http://dev.avantshare.com/forums/ext...s2&forumids=93

Any insight as to why the RSS isn't working anywhere?

I noticed you have it working. What did you do? As I have the same issue.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

You're on vBulletin 5. The URL you're trying to use in incorrect as there is no external.php file. An example URL on your site would be:

http://www.avantshare.com/forums/external?type=rss2&nodeid=29

You need to remove the .php from your URLS.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

There is also a bug in web.config for IIS server. For me it works now and this is my solution: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...04#post4116904

Comment

• medialps
          • Apr 2020

This RSS shows the last topics, but if I want the last posts as in VB4?

Comment

• Blackhorse
            • Jul 2018
            • 5.3.x

what is the idea or importance of RSS if any, it is even in xml like , how could we make use of it?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by medialps
              This RSS shows the last topics, but if I want the last posts as in VB4?
              As far as I am aware, the base RSS output has not changed. I can't think of any benefit of latest posts in an RSS feed but if you know of a use case, then please create a improvement request.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Blackhorse
                what is the idea or importance of RSS if any, it is even in xml like , how could we make use of it?
                RSS isn't "XML Like" it is XML. It has mostly gone out of favor with mobile apps taking its place among many users.

Some people use it to pull information into RSS Readers. This way they can preview your site before they visit. While allowing users to preview topics without visiting your site provides them with a convenience. It will drive down page views and advertising if you rely on that to get paid. It will also increase your bandwidth a little.

Others use it to pull data from other sites and post it as content on theirs. vBulletin.org does this with the release announcements from here.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• medialps
                  • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

As far as I am aware, the base RSS output has not changed. I can't think of any benefit of latest posts in an RSS feed but if you know of a use case, then please create a improvement request.
                  If you insert the rss in the homepage of a website where the forum is only a section of the website, for users it is useful to see the last posts, not new threads.
                  Threads are few or zero every day, posts are updated much more frequently

Comment