X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Graham Walters
    • Feb 2013
    • 5.1.x

Sitemap generation not working

I'm running 5.1.1 and I am getting error messages regarding the automatic sitemap generation :

"The directory the sitemap files are to be written into is not writeable. Please change the permissions on the path to be writeable by the web server or enter a different path in the sitemap options."

"Creation of one of the sitemap files failed. Please check the permissions on the sitemap directory.

Once you have done this, remove the sitemap session and try again.
    "

File permissions are set to 777
  • fishingforum
    • May 2013
    • 5.0.X

same issue here please assist thanks
    Fishing Forum | Saltwater Fishing forum | Daystate Forum | Air Arms Forum

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

I am not getting this error on my 5.1.1 test site. If you go to AdminCP > Settings > Options > XML Sitemap, what do you have for the Sitemap File Path? And can you save that options page without error?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The default path specified in the AdminCP is relative to the /core directory. So without changing that value to an absolute path you need to make sure that /core/store_sitemap is chmod 0777 and is owned by the Webserver User and Group.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Graham Walters
          • Feb 2013
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          The default path specified in the AdminCP is relative to the /core directory. So without changing that value to an absolute path you need to make sure that /core/store_sitemap is chmod 0777 and is owned by the Webserver User and Group.
          I'm still getting the same error messages, not sure what you mean by "owned by the Webserver User and Group"

Comment

• fishingforum
            • May 2013
            • 5.0.X

dito
            Fishing Forum | Saltwater Fishing forum | Daystate Forum | Air Arms Forum

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Graham Walters

I'm still getting the same error messages, not sure what you mean by "owned by the Webserver User and Group"

If you do a directory listing from the command line it will tell you who owns a folder and file. You would have to use chown and chgroup to get the directory into the webserver user's possession. This is increasingly required on shared hosting systems for security. If you don't know how to make these changes or you do not have access to the command line of the machine, you will need to ask your hosting providers to make the changes for you.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Graham Walters
                • Feb 2013
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                I am not getting this error on my 5.1.1 test site. If you go to AdminCP > Settings > Options > XML Sitemap, what do you have for the Sitemap File Path? And can you save that options page without error?
                I've done that, the file path is store_sitemap/sitemap.xml if I try anything else it gives me an error on the page

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

The file path should only be to a directory, not a file. So, what exactly do you have for AdminCP > Settings > Options > XML Sitemap? And, as Wayne stated, if you have something like "./store_sitemap" (the default), then this is a directory located in the /core directory, not in your root.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Graham Walters
                    • Feb 2013
                    • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                    The file path should only be to a directory, not a file. So, what exactly do you have for AdminCP > Settings > Options > XML Sitemap? And, as Wayne stated, if you have something like "./store_sitemap" (the default), then this is a directory located in the /core directory, not in your root.
                    It's that "." before the / that gets me every time

Comment

• zeman
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 5.0.X

I had the same problem. When I checked the URL target, it had my old domain name. I changed it to my new one, changed Sitemap folder permission to 777 and it worked.

Comment