X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaWd
    • May 2011
    • 3.8.x

'Mark Channels Read' does nothing...

After my upgrade, the Mark Channels Read button at the top of the forum does nothing. In SiteBuilder, the target URL is set to '#'.

How is the page supposed to be configured in order to mark the channels read?

In AdminCP -> General Settings -> Topic/Forum Read Marking Type

Change the setting 'Inactivity/Cookie Based' to one of the two Database types, where the one with automatic forum marking works best!

Comment

• GaWd
      • May 2011
      • 3.8.x

We are set to database marking, already. It doesn't seem to work very well-my own replies show up as unread.

Comment

The # is correct, it doesn't do anything. There is a Javascript behind it. And I think it is being triggered by the original name of the link. Maybe somebody of vB can tell more about this.

Does the button mark other threads and topics as read? I know there is a problem with own posts that stay 'unread'.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

It only works on the main forum index as the Javascript used to power it is only present there.

Personally I would remove it from the sub nav bar completely using site builder as it is present at the bottom of the forum index, where it also works. This will avoid any confusion for end users.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Craig
            • Jan 2008
            • 6.X

I have this same problem, except it does not work from the new topics page. Is there a fix to this?
            adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by NumNum
              I have this same problem, except it does not work from the new topics page. Is there a fix to this?
              As stated in the post directly above your post, it only works on the Forum Home page currently. There is no fix at this time because the Javascript needs to be reconfigured by the developers.

The link in the footer of the forum page works. Plus each channel has a "Mark Channel Read" on the inline moderation menu (paper with pencil in the floating toolbar).
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Mar 2011
                • 5.7.X

To make 'Mark Channels Read' work in New Topics search results page, you will need to create a hook at footer_before_body_end hook location with this template code:

Code:
                <script>
                (function($) {
                    //apply to Search Results widget only
                    if ($('.search-results-widget').length) {
                        //attach click handler to Mark Channels Read subnav item
                        $('.navbar_mark_channels_read').on('click', function(e) {
                            e.preventDefault();
                            e.stopImmediatePropagation(); //cancel original click handler

//mark channel read for root node 1 to mark all channels read
                            vBulletin.setChannelRead(1, {
                                success: function() {
                                    location.href = pageData.baseurl; //redirect to homepage
                                },
                                error: function() {
                                    openAlertDialog({
                                        title: vBulletin.phrase.get("forum"),
                                        iconType: "error"
                                    });
                                }
                            });
                        });
                    }
                })(jQuery);
                </script>

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Craig
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 6.X

{vb:hook footer_before_body_end}
                  Paste it here?
                  </body>
                  adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 5.7.X

No. You don't have to edit existing templates. Go to one of my free mods in my signature below and follow the instructions on how to create a hook. The instructions are similar.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment