X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaWd
    • May 2011
    • 3.8.x

vB 5.1.0 Upgrade: Need some issues resolved

I was posting at vB.org when I should have been over here, apparently...

vBulletin staff completed our vB4 --> vB5 upgrade. We have some issues that need to be worked out, and I come to you for assistance.

1- I have a user who is very particular about wanting this disabled. In vB4 we were able to do it with the stylevar editor. I tried the same thing with vB5-changing italics to normal in the bbcode_quote_font stylevar, but it doesn't appear to have worked.

Is there another italics reference, or something that overrides this variable?

2- How can I get UNREAD posts back? It was one of the better features in vB4, and we seem to have lost that in vB5. "Today's Posts" is the present day, and that's too narrow, IMO. Is there a way to implement a search that will just pick up a user's unread posts? I've seen several suggested workarounds-none of which seem to really reproduce the vB4 behavior.

There is also a bug in the way results are returned using 'Today's Posts' in which the results are not in chronological order:

I haven't gone through all of the Jira issues, but I don't see it called out there.

3- Disable the "You have been quoted" notifications. I don't see any options in admincp, and in the User Settings, none of the settings disable this message. It is truly obnoxious.

4- BUG: Default mobile skin does not allow a user to edit their post. Users instead are presented with the new post "Write Something" prompt when the click on edit:

5- BUG: Red and Default non-mobile skins do not allow a user to go back with the mouse and delete/edit text. The cursor will move with the mouse, but as soon as the user uses DEL or BKSP, the cursor jumps to the end of the line.

If the user inserts a carriage return at the end of the line, they can now go back and edit the line.
    Last edited by GaWd; Mon 31 Mar '14, 6:05pm.
  • GaWd
    • May 2011
    • 3.8.x

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I really want to like vB5, but it's been a rough few weeks trying to work around the bugs, quirks, and puzzling design changes.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

1. Particular about what? There isn’t a description or picture of what you want to do.
      2. There should be a New posts link, I believe this should include the unread posts. The sorting order is currently a known issue, IIRC. We’re aware of it.
      3. This should be Replies to your discussion (this also includes comments in your topics) on the notifications. Its not that it’s a quote, its that they’re directly replying to you.
      4. I’d make sure to report that in jira, I’m not aware of that issue off the top of my head
      5. This is a general issue with CKEditor, we’re aware of it. We are hoping to have it addressed in an upcoming build

Comment

• GaWd
        • May 2011
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        1. Particular about what? There isn’t a description or picture of what you want to do.
        2. There should be a New posts link, I believe this should include the unread posts. The sorting order is currently a known issue, IIRC. We’re aware of it.
        3. This should be Replies to your discussion (this also includes comments in your topics) on the notifications. Its not that it’s a quote, its that they’re directly replying to you.
        4. I’d make sure to report that in jira, I’m not aware of that issue off the top of my head
        5. This is a general issue with CKEditor, we’re aware of it. We are hoping to have it addressed in an upcoming build
        1- I want italics disabled in quotes. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I want straight, non-italic text in the quoted portion within the quote tags.
        2- I do not show a new "new posts" button on my forum. There is "New Topics" and "Today's Posts". A new posts option would probably satisfy my need here. Is this a module or something that needs to be enabled?
        3- I don't think this is correct (or I'm not understanding you). For every single quote that is made on the forum, a notification is produced to the person quoted. Is there a way to disable it? We do not find any advantage to this, and find it obnoxious. I have all notification types disabled, and these notifications are still produced. The below notifications are un-selected:

Replies to your discussion (this also includes comments in your topics)
        Comments on your discussion

4- Will do
        5- Roger.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

1. Try adding this to your css_additional.css template
          .bbcode_container .bbcode_quote {font-style: none;}
          2. Sorry, New Topics should have the unread filter on it, by default. If not I can give you a link for it.
          3. Its not a quote specifically, as in if you were to use the quote tags manually, it wouldn't happen. But using the quote button makes it a reply to that specific topic.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

You can also edit the "Today's Posts" link and change "lastDay" to "lastWeek" or even "lastMonth".

This not only expands the time frame but also improves the accuracy of results due to the issue Zachery mentioned.

Obviously, if you've a huge site with loads and loads of posts per day going in, this might be heavy on the server, but I've used it on a site getting around 500 posts a day with no issue.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• GaWd
              • May 2011
              • 3.8.x

I entered a Jira issue for My mobile woes: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-12388

And it was closed as a dupe: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-11764

I have voted for and commented on this issue.

Comment

• GaWd
                • May 2011
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                1. Try adding this to your css_additional.css template
                .bbcode_container .bbcode_quote {font-style: none;}
                I will test this out tonight. Thank you.

2. Sorry, New Topics should have the unread filter on it, by default. If not I can give you a link for it.
                I'm guessing that's the issue, here. If you can provide a link and some details on how to modify it, I am happy to do so.

3. Its not a quote specifically, as in if you were to use the quote tags manually, it wouldn't happen. But using the quote button makes it a reply to that specific topic.
                Correct. How do I disable the notification?

Comment

• GaWd
                  • May 2011
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  You can also edit the "Today's Posts" link and change "lastDay" to "lastWeek" or even "lastMonth".

This not only expands the time frame but also improves the accuracy of results due to the issue Zachery mentioned.

Obviously, if you've a huge site with loads and loads of posts per day going in, this might be heavy on the server, but I've used it on a site getting around 500 posts a day with no issue.
                  Thanks, Mark.

As you can imagine, I do not want more quantity, I want more accuracy. My goal is to restore vB4-like 'unread posts' search functionality.

Comment

• GaWd
                    • May 2011
                    • 3.8.x

Here is my 'New Posts' search query:

~~~
                    search?searchJSON=%7B%22date%22%3A%22lastVisit%22%2C%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22unread_o nly%22%3A1%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22lastcontent%22%3A%22desc%22%7D%2C%22exclude_type%22%3A%5B% 22vBForum_PrivateMessage%22%5D%7D
                    ~~~

I see 'unread_only' in the query, but it's just not correct. I see posts in 'today's posts' that I haven't read, and they do not appear to show in 'new posts'.

Comment

• GaWd
                      • May 2011
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by GaWd

I will test this out tonight. Thank you.
                      This did not work, Zachery.

Any other ideas?

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

This did not work, Zachery.

Any other ideas?
                        Try
                        Code:
                        .bbcode_container .bbcode_quote {font-style: none !important;}
                        Also you might initially see it only on new posts, unless you edit an old one and save it.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Here is my 'New Posts' search query:

~~~
                          search?searchJSON=%7B%22date%22%3A%22lastVisit%22%2C%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22unread_o nly%22%3A1%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22lastcontent%22%3A%22desc%22%7D%2C%22exclude_type%22%3A%5B% 22vBForum_PrivateMessage%22%5D%7D
                          ~~~

I see 'unread_only' in the query, but it's just not correct. I see posts in 'today's posts' that I haven't read, and they do not appear to show in 'new posts'.
                          Presently you can't do anything to improve New Topics...it isn't quite working as intended, it is logged as a bug.
                          Your best option is Today's Posts - the unread posts show in bold. Also turn on database thread marking so it updates in real time.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                            Former vBulletin Developer
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Mark.B

Try
                            Code:
                            .bbcode_container .bbcode_quote {font-style: none !important;}
                            Also you might initially see it only on new posts, unless you edit an old one and save it.
                            It should be 'normal' not 'none'.
                            Code:
                            .bbcode_container .bbcode_quote { font-style: normal; }
                            And it should be applied to all quoted posts, old and new.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                              It should be 'normal' not 'none'.
                              Code:
                              .bbcode_container .bbcode_quote { font-style: normal; }
                              And it should be applied to all quoted posts, old and new.
                              Thanks Glenn, I blame Zachery, I just stuck "important" on the end of his code.
                              Though I have to say I did think 'none' would work on font styles...clearly not.

As for the old/new post thing, when i styled my vB5 quote boxes (to put a border on them) I sometimes found that existing ones were cached in some way unless edited and saved. Not always though.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment