CKEditor not working well when a mobile device is detected

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CKEditor not working well when a mobile device is detected

On a desktop device CKEditor is working well, but when CKEditor detects a mobile device, things are going wrong.

What are my findings:
    1. Users are unable to select smilies. The smilie button is still there, but when you click a smilie, the smilie does not appear in the text box
    2. Formatting is ignored, all <enters> and empty lines are discarded when a user posts his message
    3. Edit function isn't working, when you try to edit a message on a mobile device an empty editor box shows up
    4. All Advanced editor options are disable, the [A] button is also disappeared

When I click the option 'Request desktop site' in Chrome on my mobile phone the normal / full CKEditor windows will be loaded and all works like it should. All problems are gone.

Also my Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 arenn't recognized as a mobile devices and all is working well on those. While an iPad is considered as mobile device and also there the CKEditor windows has the same problems as stated above.

Am I able to disable the mobile version of CKEditor? As it doesn't work like it should.

(I tried to paste the new CKEditor code in the CKEditor Rollup .js, but that doesn't work).
  • IggyP
    • Mar 2012

pretty big issues imho, didnt even notice some of those but def would like to see this fix asap

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

We're aware of the issues and planning an upgrade to the latest CKEditor to issues.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Ok, this is a big issue for us. But when you say 'we are planning to' I'm afraid it will take months or even more than a year before it get fixed. I don't want to be rude, but your developer team has not the best reputation when it gets to fixing important bugs.

Comment

• IggyP
          • Mar 2012

ive been wondering when the latest CKEditor version will be implemented into vb5...the inline editing and whatever in it is wicked tight and perhaps would solve some of these issues??

is that what you mean wayne? i know it can be hard to tell exactly when, but im sure many of us are curious as to some rough time frame/version # etc

Comment

In the source I noticed vB5 uses CKEditor 4.0.2 and in the meanwhile we are at version 4.3.3 with a massive changelog from 4.0.2. to 4.3.3:

Comment

• DisasterDotCom
              • Feb 2013

I'm still looking for these issues to be fixed in version 5.1.2 (5 months after the last message). When a user goes to edit a message, it disappears... and all carriage returns are stripped out before posting new messages. This is on mobile. I'm a bit concerned since on March 6th you said you'd take care of this, and here we are almost in August...?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

We never said the issues would be resolved in 5.1.2. I said it would be worked on. Those issues are still open.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

I believe the line break and editing issues are resolved in 5.1.3.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 5.7.X

If you want to enable CKEditor on mobile and tablets, you can use the Mobile CKEditor Fix mod I created (see link on my signature).

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• fariborz khan
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                      If you want to enable CKEditor on mobile and tablets, you can use the Mobile CKEditor Fix mod I created (see link on my signature).
                      why I can not see your signature
                      urljet best-vbulletin-host

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Because you set that in your personal settings not to show any signatures.
                    • bmbrady77
                      • Sep 2015
                      • 5.1.x

I hate to pull up an old thread, but I am having this exact same problem on a vBulletin install I did last week. Tried to implement the custom template fix and guess what?..Add new Template doesn't exist in vBulletin 5.1.9...

Any suggestions?

Comment

• bmbrady77
                        • Sep 2015
                        • 5.1.x

I have confirmed that you are correct that it is a style issue. I changed my board back to vBulletin Default and the buttons work now in the mobile browser, though I'm still having an issue with Editing in tapatalk. It gives a "cannot load post data" error. I thought the two issues were related, and they still could be, but I'm treating them as seperate issues now.

The problem I have with your fix for the other styles is that there seems to be now way to implement the last step in vBulletin 5.1.9. There is no Styles and Templates in Options. There is only Styles and Themes, and there is no "Add New Template" options that I can find anywhere.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 5.7.X

"Styles and Templates" was renamed to "Styles and Themes" in 5.1.8. You can only add new template if you add a child style.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• bmbrady77
                            • Sep 2015
                            • 5.1.x

"Styles and Templates" was renamed to "Styles and Themes" in 5.1.8. You can only add new template if you add a child style.
                            Thanks Glenn...Any chance we can see and update to the instructions to reflect this enlightenment? It would really be helpful for those of us who haven't been using vBulletin since birth. lol

Comment