• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhoyos
    • Feb 2014
    • 5.0.X

Final user interface translation?

Morning,

Since there is no official spanish language pack for VB5 connect, I was wondering if there is a module / component to translate all final user interface into Spanish.

I really don't mind to have administrator control panel in english, but since my forum users are going to be spanish, I really want to translate all options a final user will have using the forum.

It will help if you can tell me what part of the language pack do I have to translate.

Thanks in advanced.
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

The language file of vB5 doesn't distinguish between Frontend and Backend, so it will be hard to only translate the Frontend.

I'd recommend you to translate vB5 externally (= not via the AdminCP). To do this, take the original English language file, copy/edit it, and import it as a new language via the AdminCP.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

I honestly can't recommend that at all TLMD, who is recommending that? modifying the master language without removing its status as a master language is a bad idea.

Comment

• TLMD
        • Sep 2012
        • 5.6.X

Sorry, maybe I don't see the problem. What is wrong with taking the original language file, creating a copy of it, translating that duplicated file, and then import it as a new language? No original data will be overwritten and you always have a "clean" translation file, as you can still compare the older (untouched) English language file with the one that comes with a newer version of vB5, so you see all phrases that have changed.
        Last edited by TLMD; Mon 17 Feb '14, 9:18am.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

The original language file is a MASTER language, which overrites the default master language with your translation. It doesn't provide translation dates either, there is a lot wrong with it.

Comment

• TLMD
            • Sep 2012
            • 5.6.X

Well, my file doesn't overwrite anything when I import it and it contains plenty of phrases. Maybe we are talking about different files then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	language-file.png
Views:	106
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	4020466

I am open to any information, if I am doing something wrong here.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

The german language is not shipped as a master language. Take a look at the vbulletin-language.xml file located in the core/install/ folder, that is the one you're suggesting people translate.

Still, you won't keep translation changes between versions since you're not updating the time stamps, which is less than ideal. Plus you're not tracking who changed them last, if you needed that. IT'd be harder to tell if your phrase was up to date or not.

Comment

• TLMD
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                The german language is not shipped as a master language. Take a look at the vbulletin-language.xml file located in the core/install/ folder, that is the one you're suggesting people translate.
                Exactly. I was talking about this file when I said "take the original English language file".

Originally posted by Zachery
                Still, you won't keep translation changes between versions since you're not updating the time stamps, which is less than ideal. Plus you're not tracking who changed them last, if you needed that. IT'd be harder to tell if your phrase was up to date or not.
                Whenever a new version comes out, I compare the untouched language files, for example those of vB 5.0.4 and vB 5.0.5. Every line, that has changed in the newer version, is recognized and then will be copied over into the (modified) language file to keep it up-to-date. This way I have recognized every change from version to version in the past, since I was always working with the original "source" and even if phrases become obsolete, I can remove them from my modified file.

I still haven't fully understood why that is "less than ideal", since it works and it is not really prone to errors, but I am interested in any information on how to improve or do this in a better, easier way.

Comment