X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John8
    • Jan 2014
    • 5.0.X

Creating User rank image for their profile question - Vbulletin 5.0.5

I wanted to add a specific icon for a specific user in a usergroup, under their profile picture. So I search the forums and people suggest ranks, So I have created a separate usergroup, and created a rank, however, I can't get the rank to show up, either as a image or text, even though the user is added to the new usergroup as a secondary usergroup.

I have heard that it is possible in ranks, governed by promotions? However this specific rank is not governed by reputations like posts, reputation, or date. Any ideas how to do this? I mainly wanted this for Donations as an example, but a few others which are not paid for..

Any ideas on how to do either of these? in vBulletin 5.0.5?
  • FoundationalOne
    • Dec 2013
    • 5.0.X

I have gotten this to work....manually.
    I would love to find a way to promote members based upon something other than post count.....and have it automated.

The only thing I can think of is to define a variable, have users put the variable value in their signatures and run a cron job to constantly look for updates in people's signatures....
    The issue there of course is that it would be an honor system....because people could just game the system and put it in their signatures without earning it.

Subbed to this thread.

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

Originally posted by John8
      I have heard that it is possible in ranks, governed by promotions? However this specific rank is not governed by reputations like posts, reputation, or date. Any ideas how to do this? I mainly wanted this for Donations as an example, but a few others which are not paid for.
      You can't do this just with ranks, since they only rely on posts and not on other stuff. But here is a workaround I suggest:
      1. Create a new usergroup for those you want to mark as Donators (e.g. "Donators"). It can have the exact same permissions like the regular usergroup on your forums ("Registered Users").
      2. Create a rank, attach it to the new usergroup ("Donators") and set the "Minimum Posts" to 1. Set a title for this rank or – what you want to do – add a rank icon.
      3. Make sure you update usertitles and ranks now (AdminCP > Maintenance > General Update Tools).

That's it. Now select the new usergroup for every user you want to mark as a donator as the "Additional Usergroup" under their profile. Then your donator icon shows up in their posts.

Edit:
      Oh, and now that you are doing this via an "Additional Usergroup", you can also use auto-promotions, if you need them, so technically this brings back the ability to (auto-)promote based on the reputation level, days registered or posts.
      Last edited by TLMD; Sat 18 Jan '14, 2:11am.

Comment

• John8
        • Jan 2014
        • 5.0.X

Thank you for that answer, its seems like what I have done before, however, I re-did that, and nothing. I think there is a fundamental setting I am missing to enable Ranks to display under members names for e.g.under your name TLMD there is Senior Member and also orange vertical lines, under mine it is grey. But on my forum there are none, grey or otherwise! Is there something I am now missing?

Comment

• TLMD
          • Sep 2012
          • 5.6.X

The title below the username (in my case "TLMD") is a user title ("Senior Member").

The bar below the user title is the reputation bar. This feature can be disabled in the AdminCP, so maybe that is why it doesn't show up on your forum.

The user ranks or rank symbols are displayed below the reputation bar (if enabled).

Comment

• John8
            • Jan 2014
            • 5.0.X

Thank you, following all of the above, Looks like something happened overnight, and both are visible, apart from the image icon. I wonder if it is a size restriction on the image? Do you have an idea of what size it can be?

Comment

• TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

I don't think there is a size restriction, but are you absolutely sure you entered the path to the image correctly?

Comment

• John8
                • Jan 2014
                • 5.0.X

Fixed it..... Thank you for your help.. Its all about creation of a new folder or putting the image in a specific place. The system seems to get confused over the paths.

So when I created the Rank rule and put the image path as images/rank/YourImage.gif, this saves fine, even though I had put the file in the forum/core/images/ranks/ directory. Provided the image YourImage.gif was in that folder.

This path in the control panel was finding that file in forum/core/images/ranks/YourImage.gif. But does not display on the forum when saved. Unable to change that path,

So I have created a new path for the image in forum/images/rank/YourImage.gif. I then changed the Image link in the Rank to images/rank/YourImage.gif and it worked.

Weird.. But it works. Thanks

Comment