X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tombo82685
    • Oct 2013
    • 5.0.X

Downgrading to vb4

I have vb5.06 right now, and i know once you downgrade you lose all your forums, but does it swipe the membership clean to?
  • Teascu Dorin
    • Aug 2010

Just an idea... there is no 5.06 only 5.0.5 and 5.1.0!
    Make a backup of the database first to be sure that you not loose anything.
    Best Regards

roStyles Design LLC
    CEO & Founder (Design and Support)
    Romanian Translator
    Teascu Dorin

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

As Teascu Dorin already said:
      There is no vB 5.0.6. The only versions available right now are vB 5.0.5 (stable) and vB 5.1.0 (unstable, Alpha 7).

Regarding your question:
      You can only "downgrade" to vB4, if you have a database backup of your vB4 installation. (Re-)Installing vB4 and then importing the database backup will obviously make you loose all data that was created after you created your backup. This includes forum posts as well as members, that registered after that date.

Comment

• tombo82685
        • Oct 2013
        • 5.0.X

Originally posted by TLMD
        As Teascu Dorin already said:
        There is no vB 5.0.6. The only versions available right now are vB 5.0.5 (stable) and vB 5.1.0 (unstable, Alpha 7).

Regarding your question:
        You can only "downgrade" to vB4, if you have a database backup of your vB4 installation. (Re-)Installing vB4 and then importing the database backup will obviously make you loose all data that was created after you created your backup. This includes forum posts as well as members, that registered after that date.
        Sorry about that 5.05 is what I have. I don't like 5.05 at all, way to many bugs and not enough mods to alter things. I wanted to go down to vb4, but I was hoping that my membership wouldn't be swiped clean. I haven't used vb4 at all. I just purchased vb5.05 back in november so i never had vb4. So what you are saying is that pretty much everything will be wiped clean.

Comment

• TLMD
          • Sep 2012
          • 5.6.X

Originally posted by tombo82685
          I wanted to go down to vb4 [...] I haven't used vb4 at all.
          Sorry, but there is no official tool available to directly downgrade from vB5 to vB4. If you don't have a backup, then there is only one way I can think of: You can import your current vB5 installation to another forum software and then import that other forum installation back to a fresh vB4 installation.

Comment

• tombo82685
            • Oct 2013
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by TLMD
            Sorry, but there is no official tool available to directly downgrade from vB5 to vB4. If you don't have a backup, then there is only one way I can think of: You can import your current vB5 installation to another forum software and then import that other forum installation back to a fresh vB4 installation.
            you couldn't go to vb 4.2? I thought I was told that i possibly could go to vb4.2.

Comment

• TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

you couldn't go to vb 4.2? I thought I was told that i possibly could go to vb4.2.
              When you buy a vB5 license, you also get access to vB4 (and vB3), so you can download these versions from the Member's Area and use them for your forum. But if you have started your community using vB5, then you have set up your forum as a vB5 forum. From there you can't simply go back to vB4, as the vB5 database is not compatible with vB4. You can always delete your vB5 forum and start with a fresh vB4 installation (and then later upgrade from vB4 to vB5, if you feel the time has come to do this). But if you want to go back to vB4 (from vB5), I don't know of any other way than the one I posted above.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

You can change down a version any time you like but what you won't be able to do is take any posts, members etc with you.

Going up a version - you can run the upgrade script and preserve the content.
                Going down a version - you have to start again (or if you have previously used that version you can restore a backup but you lose anything done subsequently).
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• FoundationalOne
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 5.0.X

I have vb5.06 right now, and i know once you downgrade you lose all your forums, but does it swipe the membership clean to?
                  I gave some serious consideration to this as well as my forum was pretty new.
                  Given that you lose all of your content and would be starting over....tough pill to swallow.

I am crossing my fingers that VB5 fixing and development will be the focus going forward. <insert_scared_smiley>

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by FoundationalOne

Given that you lose all of your content and would be starting over....tough pill to swallow.

I am crossing my fingers that VB5 fixing and development will be the focus going forward. <insert_scared_smiley>
                    Have you checked out the 5.1.0 pre-release version yet?
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• tombo82685
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by FoundationalOne

Yea, that is the sole reason why I want to downgrade to vb4. vb5 has no modifications and just a ton of bugs that really hurt the forum. This spring, my team and I who run our forum are going to sit down and see what we can do to fix this. Hopefully vb5.1 will be out. If not, we may just go to another forum hosting place.

Comment

• newuser886
                        • Sep 2014
                        • 5.0.X

Help me, editor for mobile in vb5 is not insert picture and not show toolbar ?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by newuser886; Sun 1 Nov '15, 5:38am.

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by newuser886
                          Help me, editor for mobile in vb5 is not insert picture and not show toolbar ?
                          Please start your own thread with the details of your problem.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...