X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonmo
    • Dec 2004
    • 5.0.X

Show Threads with Unread Posts

How can I show my users all threads containing unread posts? Not posts in last 30 days, but unread for that user. If the user isn't logged in, then I'd expect everything is unread.

I've posted about this before and it seems impossible, but at the same time I feel like must be missing something, because this is such a basic feature.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Unread markers are only maintained for period of time. In a default installation, this is 10 days. Anything older than that is marked as read automatically.

Building searches via Query or JSON would depend on your version. For support with that, you need to post in the support forum for your version.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tonmo
      • Dec 2004
      • 5.0.X

Sorry, I am referring to 5.0.5. Is it supported? Feel free to move my post; sorry about that.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search?searchJSON={"unread_only":1,"view":"topic","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}

That would be the string to do this.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Hummie
          Hummie commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried this just now and it is driving me batty that I cannot figure out how to see all my unread posts. It gives me results that also include those I've read.
      • tonmo
        • Dec 2004
        • 5.0.X

I always get the response "There are no results that meet this criteria." even though I know there are posts from today I haven't read yet.

Also the URL reads:

http://www.mysite.com/forum/search?searchJSON={

...and that's it. Maybe it's not liking the quotes? Should I open a ticket, or do you have other troubleshooting suggestions?

Comment

• tonmo
          • Dec 2004
          • 5.0.X

Fixed it - it was a quotes issue. I just plugged in the URL here to get the proper form and it works:

Is that a defect?

Comment

• tonmo
            • Dec 2004
            • 5.0.X

....although, I'm getting results which include some threads that have already been read... :-/ And those read threads are not bolded, and the "jump to unread post" icon isn't present... which makes sense, because I've read those. So I'm not sure how this works. Tried clearing cache, no success. Is there a searchJSON cheat sheet anywhere? I haven't deviated from the string you provided, but, it's not working as expected.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...