X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenjMac
    • Sep 2013
    • 5.0.X

Steps for going to 5.05 from 5.04???

I’m still new to this as you’ll obviously see. I have a couple questions about going from 5.0.4 to 5.0.5 (may seem silly/reveal my ignorance or be insignificant) just to be sure I’ll be doing everything correctly and check to confirm what I’m up against first.

First, when I downloaded my patch I did not do the following (overlooked even checking it out), but wonder if this is important for going to 5.0.5 from 5.0.4:

“However, before you upload the files you must make some changes to the vBulletin configuration files. The first file is located in the upload folder itself and is called config.php.bkp. The second file is located in the core/includes folder (within the upload folder) and is called config.php.new.”
    Next, I already have my 5.0.4 running (only about a week now, sigh) so am I correct that I need to do this:
    Note:
    “As you already have a vBulletin installation running on your web server, you should delete the install.php file in the install directory before you proceed to upload the files.”
    And this:

Key question: So am I “updating” or “upgrading”? Because I see these instructions for “Upgrading”:

According to what I’m doing (updating” or “upgrading”?) which part(s), if any do I do of the following?
    Note:
    Before uploading the files, you should delete the install.php file found in the /upload/core/install/ directory. If you are upgrading from one version of vBulletin 5 to another 5.x version, you should also delete the config.php.bkp andcore/includes/config.php.new files.
    Will these instructions apply to me? Because I see these instructions for “Upgrading”:
    Running the vBulletin Upgrade Script

Once you have uploaded the files to upgrade your vBulletin installation, point your browser tohttp://www.yourdomain.com/pathtoforu...ll/upgrade.php. The first thing you will see from the upgrade script is a login prompt, asking you to enter your Customer Number. This is done to prevent other users from accidentally stumbling across your upgrade script and running it. Only you should know your Customer Number. The screen will look like this:

***SCREENSHOT OF CUSTOMER NUMBER LOGIN PROMPT***

When you have entered your customer number, hit the [Enter Upgrade System] button and you should be taken to the first step of the install script. If after hitting the [Enter Upgrade System] button you are brought back to the customer number entry dialog, there was an error verifying your customer number. Please check for mistakes and try again.

Note:
    Your Customer Number is the string of numbers and letters used as the login user name for the vBulletin Members' Area and is supplied via email following your purchase. If you have deleted this email and need to recover your Customer Number, please visit this link:

https://members.vbulletin.com/lostpw...lostcustomerid

You should type your customer number carefully to avoid errors. Note that your customer number is not the same as your vBulletin license number.

The only reasons the customer number won't work are:
    · You are not using the correct number (don't use the license number.)
    · You are not using the correct files for the license under that account.
    · You are blocking cookies.

After entering the correct Customer Number, the upgrade wizard will begin. Press [Begin Upgrade] to begin.

***SCREENSHOT OF BEGIN UPGRADE PROMPT***

The upgrader from this point is automatic. You will see the progress bar progress as it goes through the steps.

***SCREENSHOT OF PROGRESS BAR***
    If the upgrade script needs to retrieve any information from you, it will stop and show a dialog box requesting the information. To proceed, simply follow the instructions on the screen.

During the upgrade process, you may opt to have a more detailed output view. You can view each step as it processes by clicking the "Show Details" button while the upgrade wizard is running. It will present you with a view like this:

***SCREENSHOT OF ADVANCED PROGRESS BAR***

Once the upgrade process is complete, you will be presented with a link to your Admin Control Panel.
    ***SCREENSHOT OF UPGRADE COMPLETE SCREENSHOT***

Enter the Admin Control Panel to verify that your settings, content and other details are still correct.
    Finally, after the install (if I survive it) what exactly are the two things called under core that I have to delete?

• TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

First, when I downloaded my patch I did not do the following (overlooked even checking it out), but wonder if this is important for going to 5.0.5 from 5.0.4:

Not important for you. Renaming (and editing) those files is only neccessary, if you do a fresh installation of vB5. If you have already vB 5.0.4 up and running, you have renamed (and edited) those files before, or your vB5 would not run.

Next, I already have my 5.0.4 running (only about a week now, sigh) so am I correct that I need to do this:

You should not have an install directory at all, since there are some security issues around this (see the various announcements/e-mails from the last couple of weeks). However, if you still have that directory, in my opinion you can ignore that for now, since you have to delete the entire install directory after the upgrade (and this file is located in the install directory, so it will be removed).

Key question: So am I “updating” or “upgrading”? Because I see these instructions for “Upgrading”:

Words... I'd call it an upgrade to another version, for some people this might be an update.

According to what I’m doing (updating” or “upgrading”?) which part(s), if any do I do of the following?

See above: You should not have an install directory. The same with those "old" config files. But if you still have those, don't worry. I always ignored them before an upgrade and deleted them after the upgrade.

Will these instructions apply to me? Because I see these instructions for “Upgrading”:

Quick upgrade instructions:
    • Download vB 5.0.5 from the member's area. Unpack the archive. No files need to be edited, if you upgrade from vB 5.0.4 to vB 5.0.5.
    • Upload all the files in the upload folder to your server or webspace. Overwrite all files.
    • Run the upgrade script by browsing to "core/install/upgrade.php" and follow the instructions.
    • After the upgrade has finsihed, delete the entire install directory! This is important due to security issues!
    • Optionally remove the obsolete "config.php.bkp" (root directory) and "config.php.new" (core/includes directory).
    • Done.

Finally, after the install (if I survive it) what exactly are the two things called under core that I have to delete?

You definetly have to delete the install directory in the core folder.
    You can delete the config.php.new file in the core/includes folder.
    Last edited by TLMD; Thu 26 Sep '13, 2:06pm.

Comment

• BenjMac
      • Sep 2013
      • 5.0.X

Thanks so much. The only thing I'm not clear on is if I will have to:
      • Run the upgrade script by browsing to "core/install/upgrade.php" and follow the instructions.
      And if so I guess I don't understand what this means:

Once you have uploaded the files to upgrade your vBulletin installation, point your browser tohttp://www.yourdomain.com/pathtoforu...ll/upgrade.php.

Like, where this will be after I've downloaded my files. Or otherwise can I just replace the "yourdomain" and go there...do/will I have to go through this process?

Thanks again.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

Those 2 instructions mean exactly the same thing, with only different wordings.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• BenjMac
          • Sep 2013
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
          Those 2 instructions mean exactly the same thing, with only different wordings.
          Are you referring to these 2 instructions being the same thing?
          Once you have uploaded the files to upgrade your vBulletin installation, point your browser tohttp://www.yourdomain.com/pathtoforu...ll/upgrade.php.

And are you saying that after I overwrite my files I will have to take another step and "run the update script"?

If so, that is what I'm unclear about "where' this link will be or if I can simply put in my domain (if I have to yet take this step) and do it that way if I have trouble finding where this step begins?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

IOWs, I'm kind of thinking I'll be done after overwriting my files and deleting the install and config files. So I'm wondering if I'll have another step yet after that ("Run the update script") (putting in my customer # and all that stuff) and if so How I go about starting this?
          Last edited by BenjMac; Thu 26 Sep '13, 2:59pm.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

Yes you need to run the upgrade script by loading this url in the browser. Change the red and blue text accordingly.

Code:
            http://[COLOR=#FF0000]www.yourdomain.com[/COLOR]/[COLOR=#0000FF]pathtoforums[/COLOR]/core/install/upgrade.php

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• BenjMac
              • Sep 2013
              • 5.0.X

I guess even another way of putting this for clarity is, if this process is exactly like installing my patch was (go to filevilla and drop in new files, upload completed, done), I'm good! But if I have yet another step (Run the update script/enter customer # and the rest of the steps mentioned therin):

When you have entered your customer number, hit the [Enter Upgrade System] button and you should be taken to the first step of the install script.
              is this "install script" then this stuff is unfamiliar to me. In that case I'm wanting to know "how" this will happen. Like a good boy scout, I'm trying to be prepared for any surprises.

Comment

• TLMD
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.6.X

You have to run the upgrade script, after you have uploaded (and overwritten) all files on your webspace/server. As said before, do this by just starting your browser and enter the URL that leads to your site, e.g. www.yourdomain.com and add core/install/upgrade.php to it.

"Follow the instructions" just means "Do, what you are told to do by the upgrade script". It usually starts with asking for your customer number, which you have to insert. Other than that it is just clicking "Next", "Ok", etc. for a few times and you are done.

Comment

• BenjMac
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 5.0.X

Originally posted by TLMD
                  You have to run the upgrade script, after you have uploaded (and overwritten) all files on your webspace/server. As said before, do this by just starting your browser and enter the URL that leads to your site, e.g. www.yourdomain.com and add core/install/upgrade.php to it.

"Follow the instructions" just means "Do, what you are told to do by the upgrade script". It usually starts with asking for your customer number, which you have to insert. Other than that it is just clicking "Next", "Ok", etc. for a few times and you are done.
                  Thanks, I now realize I was putting in pathtofollow within my address for pete's sake! But now as I said the other thread I unfortunately have some other things to fix before I do this.

Originally posted by BenjMac

Too late, now I'm all messed up. These things are already deleted. I've made several mistakes. First, I now know I was adding pathtofollow in the address that's why it didn't go through.Duh! But now the install.php is deleted before going to the script update, don't know what problems that will cause or how to fix it. On top of it all I unwittingly accidentally deleted core > install > makeconfig.php while thinking to to do core > includes > config.php.new. BTW, currently under core > includes > I have config.php without the .new, don't know what to do with that either.. I wish I could start over or something, I have no idea where to start to fix these problem now that I understand the routine better. Sigh.

Comment

• BenjMac
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 5.0.X

I wonder if can simply drop new files for the install.php and makeconfig.php from my upload folder into core > Install on my server before going to the script update routine? That would seemingly solve things if that'd work except for what to with the config.php without the .new where I was supposed to delete config.php.new (which I never found) under core > includes?

Comment

• TLMD
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 5.6.X

See the other topic. I tried to post a solution there.

Comment