• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webtoad
    • Jul 2013
    • 5.0.X

Character issues in some parts of the forum. æøå

Hello!

Everything is written in danish in our forums. That means that we use the characters æ, ø and å. Problem is that these characters does not show as they are supposed to, everywhere in the site.

If you look at our front page http://www.macforum.dk/forum/ you see that that the characters are showing as they are supposed to. But if i go to my profile (http://www.macforum.dk/forum/member/3-benjamin/about) and look at my occupation, something weird happens. The line should read "Læser Datalogi /v Århus Universitet" but it looks like this: "L�ser Datalogi /v �rhus Universitet"

I think the same thing happens when text is restored from the automatic saves.
  • webtoad
    • Jul 2013
    • 5.0.X

Actually i just noticed that the exact same thing goes for vbulletin.com. I just added an "ø" in the end of my occupation: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/membe...-webtoad/about

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

It looks like no issue when loading the About tab by default (no ajax). It is an issue when switching to About tab wherein content is fetched via ajax.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• webtoad
        • Jul 2013
        • 5.0.X

Aha. Didn't notice that. In that case my links does not show the problem. xD

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

What character encoding are you using under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> Your Language -> Edit?
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• webtoad
            • Jul 2013
            • 5.0.X

Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1)

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              • Mar 2011
              • 5.7.X

The charset is not specified in the HTTP Response Content-Type header for all requests. It works fine on normal requests (non-ajax) because the charset is set in the <meta> tag. But for ajax requests, there is no charset in the response.

The response header should contain this:

Code:
              Content-Type text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
              Try adding this to .htaccess:

Code:
              AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• webtoad
                • Jul 2013
                • 5.0.X

The issue with the occupation not showing character right seems to be solved with the line in the .htaccess file, Thanks!

However the autosaving of messages does not seem to work yet. I will see if i can make an example.
                Last edited by webtoad; Sat 24 Aug '13, 2:11am.

Comment

• webtoad
                  • Jul 2013
                  • 5.0.X

Here is an example. First photo is the test message. Second is what is shown after a page reload, without the message having been submitted. If i press restore the message appears as in the third photo.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Please try changing your character set to UTF-8, and then remove the entries from the Blank Character stripper option, in the Censorship settings.

Comment

• webtoad
                      webtoad commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When you tell me to change character set to UTF-8, do you mean in my browser or in the language in admincp? If i change character set to UTF-8 i will break everything that contains danish letters i think?
                  • webtoad
                    • Jul 2013
                    • 5.0.X

Please save this message with danish letters in it æøå æ æ æ ø ø ø å å å

The above line was restored here in this topic. it should be like this:

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

I meant the AdminCP language setting for the language.

Comment

• webtoad
                        • Jul 2013
                        • 5.0.X

If i change to UTF-8 in AdminCP, then autosave works just fine. But everything else in the entire site gets messed up.

Comment

• webtoad
                          • Jul 2013
                          • 5.0.X

I installed tapatalk on the forums today, and this problem also happens if a message is written from tapatalk. Doesn't autosave work with latin1?

UPDATE: Started a thread over at the Tapatalk support. Follow it here: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads...h-chars.20101/
                          Last edited by webtoad; Wed 28 Aug '13, 1:39pm.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 5.7.X

Originally posted by webtoad

The above line was restored here in this topic. it should be like this:

I was able to reproduce it here. When you load the topic page and you have an autosaved content, that content is loaded from template and not from ajax. When you view the source (not from firebug or any debugging tools), you can see this:
                            HTML Code:
                            <span class="h-hide ckeditor-auto-load">Please save this message with danish letters in it æøå æ æ æ ø ø ø å å å 2</span> 
                            So it is not a display problem. Maybe the issue is on saving or fetching the data?

Comment

• webtoad
                              webtoad commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Man i wish my forum was just plain UTF-8 encoding. That would probably make everything ALOT easier.