Reason for 'Invalid file content from specified image.'?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

Reason for 'Invalid file content from specified image.'?

What could be a possible reason for an attachment upload error that says: 'Invalid file content from specified image.'?

Also: Where do you prefer to save files? Database or some directory?
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Make sure the image has the right file extension. If you have a JPG image but call it test.GIF most browsers will show it fine but it would be an invalid file if the system was expecting a GIF.

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

Weird thing is: I am trying to upload a zip file (test.zip), the maximum filesize in the attachment permissions in the AdminCP for zip files is set to '10000000'. The file has a size of roughly 1 MB. Now, when I start a new topic and click on Upload Attachment, then I get this error.

This happens with all attachments (means I can't upload attachments at all), no matter if it is an image file or something else, I always get: 'Invalid file content from specified image: FILENAME.EXT'

Is it possible that I have missed something important to be configured in the AdminCP/any config file/database-related, that allowes me to upload things? I can't remember to have this issue in a local installation so far...
      Last edited by TLMD; Mon 19 Aug '13, 12:39am.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I've actually seen this before and I am looking into it with another customer. If I don't find my way back here to report, feel free to drop me a VM for this or PM.

Comment

• TLMD
          • Sep 2012
          • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Zachery
          I've actually seen this before and I am looking into it with another customer.
          Any new information available on this?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

TLMD, if you're running into this still, let me open a ticket with you. I'll need the specific steps to reproduce.

Comment

• FBlack-HPath
              • Sep 2013
              • 5.0.X

I am running into this issue as well. I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread, but I thought it would be redundant to start a new one.

I know the files I'm testing with are the correct format, matching their extension. I've saved the same image as .jpg .gif & .png and every time I try to upload any of them as an attachment, I get the same "Invalid file content from specified image." error.

Also, if I look at the few older attachments we do have, using the Admin > Attachments > Attachment Statistics, none of the old files seem to be there if you 'view content' even though they are supposed to be stored in the actual database.

Any thoughts on where I should start to try to fix this situation?

Last edited by FBlack-HPath; Thu 2 Oct '14, 7:39pm.

Comment

• TLMD
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.6.X

I might add that I don't run into this issue anymore. It must have been fixed 'accidently' by some later vB version since system-wise nothing has changed on my side. Or maybe it was fixed because I did a fresh installation of every new version since I guess vB 5.1.2 (before that I did updates and maybe the error was 'carried over' from one version to another, I don't know).

Are you using a fresh installation of vB 5.1.3, or were you also doing updates from earlier versions?

Comment

• medved
                  • Apr 2008

I am getting the same error (Invalid file content from specified image.)since the latest version 513 was installed. Is there any fix for this please?

Comment

• FBlack-HPath
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 5.0.X

Originally posted by TLMD
                    Are you using a fresh installation of vB 5.1.3, or were you also doing updates from earlier versions?
                    We're using an upgraded previous version TLMD. We've been running vB for a long time, but we try to stay current with versions. I'm contemplating trying to switch to non-database file storage, but since we're already having issues with attachments, I'm concerned that this won't help and may have an effect on teh files that are supposed to already be stored in the database, since when I click Admin > Attachments > Attachment Statistics and try to look at the previous attachments, nothing really shows up now as far as stored images go.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

I believe this is down to an incorrect error being surfaced. Check if you have safe_mode or open_basedir restrictions in effect. Make sure your upload_tmp_dir is set to a valid path within your allowed open_basedir paths.

Comment

• medved
                        • Apr 2008

I believe this is down to an incorrect error being surfaced. Check if you have safe_mode or open_basedir restrictions in effect. Make sure your upload_tmp_dir is set to a valid path within your allowed open_basedir paths.
                        ok, thanks. is it something i can do in web host control panel or only a web host company can do it?

Comment

• medved
                          • Apr 2008

I've got a replay from the hosting company:

"Unfortunately, those items cannot be changed on the shared server. They are implemented as part of our security features on the shared platform."

So what can i do now?
                          Last edited by medved; Mon 6 Oct '14, 4:48pm.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Find a better webhost. If they don't understand that they've misconfigured their servers that is a scary thing.

Comment

• medved
                              • Apr 2008

And what is according to you a good webhost? I am not skilled enough to be able to move all 40 websites i have, it is not so easy, just to change a webhost. All other websites work ok, only a website with vB5 is not working. Why only vB5 website is not working?

Comment