Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rtfm1
    • Aug 2006

create test site

I have created a test site, but it seems there is no connection to the database, as there is no posts or users - so I am even unable to login to admin panel. I have placed the test site in a different folder, and as soon I rename it back to the original it work - but I need it as test site and not as online.

So somewhere there must be a parameter that must be changed, so the test site can run from a new folder. My config files are correct, as they work with the original folder name - so where can I change this so I can get my test site running?

• rtfm1
    • Aug 2006

anyone?

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

So, you are creating a test site using a backup database of your live site? Did you make sure before you created the database backup, that you turned off the live site, changed the Forum URL to the new test site Forum URL, then created the database backup, and then changed the URL back and turned back on the live site. The Forum URL in the database backup MUST be correct in order for the test site to work.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rtfm1
        • Aug 2006

Now I did as written. Site offline, change url so it fits the new domain - take copy - and then import to test site. The upgrade to vb5 is running fine on the new site and succeed - but going to the forum or trying to login or anything it always write: That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.

So no matter what I click on the forum this message is mentioned. And hole forum empty without any post

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You didn't upload the .htaccess file included in the upload folder of vBulletin 5.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rtfm1
            • Aug 2006

strange- it was missing. But now I have added it, but still the same error

Comment

• rtfm1
              • Aug 2006

Just tried to upload all files again from the file - just to be sure not anything more was missing. I close down the site, change the url in to the new one, click save, and then export the database.

Importing to new database, running the upgrade again from the files - everything succeed- but when going to forum no data at all to see. Unable to login, as no data at all. What the h... is wrong

I assume it doesn´t matter what library the upgrade test is stored in as long they are written in the config files with same name. In the test site article it stand as testvb - but I have just called it vb5
              Last edited by rtfm1; Wed 28 Aug '13, 6:30am.

Comment

• rtfm1
                • Aug 2006

anyone ?

Comment

• IT_Smart
                  • Jul 2019
                  • 4.2.x

Hi guys, I'm trying to do the same, but in my case I can not turn-off and change the url before doing the database backup, because the vbulletin site is very much alive and used and at this moment it is impossible to pause it.
                  I read in a document that you can change the url after the database backup, although this is not the recommended method.
                  We need a test site, and I'm trying to configure it but sadly, no success
                  Please, can someone point me to how to change those url directly in the database? What about the htaccess file?

Comment

• twistsol
                    • Mar 2015
                    • 6.X

There is no need to change the url directly in the database. Once you've created a test directy with all your site files and modified the core/config.php file in your test site, uploda the tools.php file from the do not upload folder. Tools allows you to change the URL to your test site.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Which is why it is best to start a new thread rather than bumping a very old one - old advice is often out of date.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by IT_Smart
                        Hi guys, I'm trying to do the same, but in my case I can not turn-off and change the url before doing the database backup, because the vbulletin site is very much alive and used and at this moment it is impossible to pause it.
                        I read in a document that you can change the url after the database backup, although this is not the recommended method.
                        We need a test site, and I'm trying to configure it but sadly, no success
                        Please, can someone point me to how to change those url directly in the database? What about the htaccess file?
                        You need to turn the site off to create a database backup. Otherwise, you risk corrupting your data and destroying the entire site.

You can change the URL of a database using Tools.php.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment