Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marianoaran
    • Jun 2013

Subscriptions are not working properly

I have a site running vB 5. After subscribing, sometimes I receive notifications and sometimes I don't.

Sometimes I do, even after unsubscribing to a forum.

If I take this forum as an example, I have never received notifications in this forum. I am subscribed to the whole channel "vBulletin 5 Connect", and have email notification "ON" Are child forums supposed to inherit subscriptions?

• Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

You don't get email notifications from channels. Only specific post you're subscribed to.

Comment

• marianoaran
      • Jun 2013

Aha, OK, but...

For example if I want to be notified about all that is being posted in "vBulletin 5 Support Issues & Questions", I thought I'd
      click on the subscribe button there. You're saying that the button doesn't do anything?

So what's the point of having the subscribe button while you are in the channel? Does it do anything else?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

It does, you subscribe to the channel, it lets you know updates have happened in the channel, in the past I believe it would also send you an email notification of the last 24 hours of activity in the channel.

Comment

• marianoaran
          • Jun 2013

Something is wrong here or I don't understand the logic.

I am subscribed to http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...sues-questions

I never get notified when a new topic is created. Not in notifications, not via email.

I would like to receive an email when a new topic is created. Why was this removed? How do I get notified?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

That functionality doesn't exist. There is an issue for it here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10359

I am trying to verify if the fix is global to all channels or limited in scope to blog channels though.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

You should NOT get notified when a new thread is created.
              You SHOULD get notified once every 24 hours via email about the new threads created. It was never a function to auto subscribe to all threads in a forum via the forum. There is an admin/moderator tool to be able to send a notice that new threads/posts are being created. But its in the AdminCP, not the frontend.

Comment

• marianoaran
                • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Zachery
                You should NOT get notified when a new thread is created.
                It would be nice to be able to choose how I want to be notified. Is it possible to request that?

You SHOULD get notified once every 24 hours via email about the new threads created.
                That doesn't happen in my forum, and neither in this one. Is this working for you? How do you check this forum activity every day?

It was never a function to auto subscribe to all threads in a forum via the forum. There is an admin/moderator tool to be able to send a notice that new threads/posts are being created. But its in the AdminCP, not the frontend.
                I will check this out, although I'm looking for something automatic. Just to clarify, I'm not after "auto subscribing" but being able to manually choose what channels I want to subscribe to. But I would like "auto notifications" when something is created/replied in my forum.

I'm happy to live with the notifications every 24hs for now, but that is not happening either :-(

Comment

• marianoaran
                  • Jun 2013

Last edited by marianoaran; Tue 2 Jul '13, 3:38pm. Reason: duplicate

Comment

• marianoaran
                    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    That functionality doesn't exist. There is an issue for it here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10359

I am trying to verify if the fix is global to all channels or limited in scope to blog channels though.

Thanks Wayne. Please let me know.

Comment

• marianoaran
                      • Jun 2013

Update:

In my forum, the only email notifications that I am receiving are those of posts that I have created.

I thought things were working well in the vBulletin forum, but I have now realised that all the emails I have been getting are of threads that I have created as well.

Regarding moderators...

It was never a function to auto subscribe to all threads in a forum via the forum. There is an admin/moderator tool to be able to send a notice that new threads/posts are being created. But its in the AdminCP, not the frontend.
                      I have done this:

1) Created a new forum
                      2) Created a new user
                      3) Made user moderator of that forum
                      4) in AdminCP edited permissions for that user and enabled the last two items Receive email when new Topic/Post is created.
                      5) Logged in as another user
                      6) Created a post
                      7) Commented on that post

No emails received.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug?
                      Last edited by marianoaran; Wed 3 Jul '13, 12:55am.

Comment

• marianoaran
                        • Jun 2013

Bump... Anyone?

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Just to confirm there are a few bugs around this.

Comment

• marianoaran
                            • Jun 2013

Thanks Zachery.

I understand, the fix for this issue is not making it to 5.0.4 and we have yet to see if it makes it to 5.0.5.

So in the best case scenario the fix is at least a 2~3 months away.

I understand that your vote shows interest and can make this happen for 5.0.5. Otherwise, it *might* take longer.

Please vote if you want this fixed as soon as possible.

Comment