When Posting I get this: "Error while saving content: SyntaxError: JSON.parse:...."

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webplayer
    • May 2013

When Posting I get this: "Error while saving content: SyntaxError: JSON.parse:...."

I upgraded to 5.0.3 and when I try to post this error pops up.

"Error while saving content: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected non-whitespace character after JSON data"

When I click away from it and navigate back to the thread I can see that the post went through, but the user doesn't know this. It just seems like there was an error.

Any ideas, I'm not a techy, so lamens terms would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • IggyP
    • Mar 2012

thank god im not the only one.....ive spent a couple days solid now trying to fig how to fix this...

i even started rebuilding my site on a new install then suddenly i noticed again so idk what to do

there are other similar errors it will give too, but same effect...

heres a couple i pasted to notepad
    SyntaxError: Invalid character

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character

some other things i noticed that may or may not help,
    • main admin seems to be able to post without errors, all others including newly created members get error
    • there is also an issue with editing posts where the working notification sticks and the page wont refresh
    • one post with my tables will only let me edit it in IE and still sticks on "working" when saving, although post goes thru...
    • on a clean 5.0.3 install there are no errors, even with other users, but on my test i replaced my forums/descriptions manually, did nothing else then its errors trying to post
    Last edited by IggyP; Sun 30 Jun '13, 11:26pm.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Can you post here whatever you posted on your forum, exactly, that caused the error?

Comment

• IggyP
        • Mar 2012

i generally just do simple test post like

test posting...

i was putting smiley at the end but doesnt seem to make a difference..practically anything will do it...

thanks joe, def would like to get this sorted

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Can you open a support ticket so we can take a look at whats going on? Chances are a bad json response is coming back. If its consistent, we need to see what that is.

Is this happening to all users, or just you?

Comment

• IggyP
            • Mar 2012

seems at least some mentioned smooth installs, idk what it could be tho, i have been holding back on much modification and things until its tighter coded..

Comment

• webplayer
              • May 2013

So for some reason this problem went away by itself and I couldn't replicate it - Especially after I cleared cache and optimized and repaired tables under the maintance section in AdminCP, but now I have a whole other issue. To resolve this problem I created a support ticket and sent my login credentials to VB support. I changed the PW for my admin login. While I was waiting for support, I decided to log back in, but forgot my password, so I did the forgot password steps. When I logged back into my forum via the front end. I get a white page with this error: There is a serious error and the page cannot be rendered

It only happens when I try to login as the admin, and afterwards it sticks, meaning I cannot go to any URL on my forum all I get is this message. If I clear my browser cache reboot my PC or try another device or web browser, the forum loads up, but as soon as I try to login in with my admin account it becomes inaccessible and I get this error. I am able to login to AdminCP. Anyway, I'll start another thread about this since this is my main problem now.

Comment

• webplayer
                • May 2013

I got my reply from support ticket system. And have to buy additional support package because it's after June 30th. I did let's see what happens now. (Ticketid: 1203301)
                Last edited by webplayer; Tue 2 Jul '13, 11:30pm.

Comment

• IggyP
                  • Mar 2012

i tried optimizing and repairing tables/clearing cache but still getting error...the main admin account seems to be able to post without error but no others..
                  i do have ticket in atm..

Comment

• webplayer
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by IggyP
                    i tried optimizing and repairing tables/clearing cache but still getting error...the main admin account seems to be able to post without error but no others..
                    i do have ticket in atm..
                    While browsing for a solution, I came across some mention for this JSON issue having to do with some extra spaces in the end of the config file. Did you stumble upon that? Anyway, I'm focusing on this other There is a serious error and the page cannot be rendered issue now/

Comment

• IggyP
                      • Mar 2012

i think for me the issue was about low php limits...seems to be working now...idk why that seemed to change in 5.0.3 but long as it works i guess i dont care, lol

Comment

• webplayer
                        • May 2013

Now that my other issue was solved this one remains. I'm still having this problem.

Comment

• IggyP
                          • Mar 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	admin_stats.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	3981474i think you will need to increase things like, php memory limit, sql packet size.....i increased all those stats showing when admincp opens and no problems since...im hording a fat dedicated server so i just maxed mine pretty high but idk what they should be set at...if you mess with these settings i bet you fix tho!

best luck
                          Last edited by IggyP; Thu 4 Jul '13, 12:57pm.

Comment

• webplayer
                            • May 2013

I'm using a VPS these are my server specs

768 MB Guaranteed RAM 1.5 GB Burst RAM Hardware RAID 10.

I'm not that technical, so did you increase these memory allocations via the admin panel; configuring a script, or did you do something server side?
                            Last edited by webplayer; Fri 5 Jul '13, 5:57pm.

Comment

• IggyP
                              • Mar 2012

yes i have a whm panel for server....on there it is under php configuration...you may also be able to simply ask host if they offer support..

Comment