How to reset the password for all users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sergiomc
    • Jan 2013

How to reset the password for all users?

Hello, I would like to know how to reset the password for all users, is this possible?

Send a new random password or re send a reminder with the same password that they have.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

There's no built in option to do that.

If you want to force everyone to change their password in Usegroup Manager for Registered Users you could make password expiration like 7 days, I'd imagine that would force the vast majority to reset their password. Just be sure you extend it before it hits 7 days or people will be annoyed to change it twice.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

You can use a larger password expiry length and run this query as well:

update %PREFIX%user set passworddate = "2012-01-01";

Replace %PREFIX% with the table prefix assigned in your /core/includes/config.php file.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sergiomc
        • Jan 2013

The problem is that as I could not actualziar from vb4 to vb5, I delete everything and installed vb5 from 0,

i lost all the posts but created all users one by one and now I need them they to receive an email to reset the password.

They do not know the new password, I use a program to generate passwords.

Comment

• sergiomc
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Joe D.
          There's no built in option to do that.

If you want to force everyone to change their password in Usegroup Manager for Registered Users you could make password expiration like 7 days, I'd imagine that would force the vast majority to reset their password. Just be sure you extend it before it hits 7 days or people will be annoyed to change it twice.
          Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Replace %PREFIX% with the table prefix assigned in your /core/includes/config.php file.
          doing this all my users receive a email ?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

No, mass email with a new password isn't an option.

You can go to Admin CP -> Users -> Send Email to Users, and send an email to all users - if your mail server can handle it, send them a link to your password reset page and explain they need to reset their passwords.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Bumping this since people are asking.

Expanding on what Wayne provided-

1) Make a backup of your database

2) Run the MySQL command on your database:

Code:
              update user set passworddate = "2012-01-01";
              If you use a table prefix than put the prefix before "user" so for example if your prefix is vb_ than replace user with vb_user.

3) In Admin CP go to Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> (choose a usergroup) -> Edit Usergroup. On the next page, near the top, in the "Password Expiry" box, if it is set to 0 (no expiration) change it to "2555" (7 years) and save changes. Now everyone in that usergroup will need to change it before logging in. They will have to use the "forgot password" link to update it which will require they be able to receive email. Be sure to make this password expiry change for ALL primary usergroups except, perhaps, Administrators (assuming you have already manually changed all Administrator passwords.)

Comment