Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • [GReY]
    • Sep 2012

How to Column Subforms?

When I go to a site like Steam Example who has their Game Discussion section subforumed in 3 columns. By default the Subforums only seem to show 2 columns in vB 5. I want to know how to adjust the number of columns.

In addtion if you click on the Category that has subforums and go to its main page (Steam Example 2) they are still columned, but when I do that on my site using vB 5 they are listed like standard Forums. How do I accomplish this columning on this page as well.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Should be able to change the number of columns by editing the template display_Forums_list in the Style Manager.

Look for this line:
    Code:
    {vb:set cols, 1}
    CHange it to the number of columns you want - 1.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IggyP
      • Mar 2012

can you clarify pls?

i have a forum with about 20 subforums want to spread to keep main page shorter...
      im showing 2 columns by default....i have tried several setting changes and mostly get it going back to one column or placing every 4th subforum in a second column...or another odd arrangement of a 2 column display

i tried adding like {vb:set cols, 4}
      but didnt work...

i tried a few things with the next line too{vb:set perRow, 2} ...different combinations and such but cant get more than 2 columns..

Comment

• [GReY]
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Should be able to change the number of columns by editing the template display_Forums_list in the Style Manager.

Look for this line:
        Code:
        {vb:set cols, 1}
        CHange it to the number of columns you want - 1.
        This didn't work at all... Adjust it to 3, but it from showing 2 rows to showing only 1. Also no matter when I did it didn't even change the other page at all. Did you even click the links I posted as examples?

{vb:set col, 1}
        Changing this from 1 to 2 did nothing. Changing it from 2 to 3 did nothing.

{vb:set perRow, 2}
        Changing this to 3 made it so that it would put 3 link in a column before starting a new column, but still capping at 2. Changing this to 1 resulted in 1 column with all link in it. Going higher in numbers makes column longer. Going lower makes column longer. I'm pretty that's not how math is supposed to work
        Last edited by [GReY]; Sun 16 Jun '13, 5:46pm.

Comment

• [GReY]
          • Sep 2012

Still need help with this as a real answer was never given.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

It isn't working correctly. I have entered a bug report here - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10415

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• CygnusFTK
              • Jun 2013
              • 5.0.X

Any update on this for 5.0.4?

By the way, those "notes" mentioned by the developer in the bug report do not exist on the template display_Forums_list. Fail.
              Last edited by CygnusFTK; Tue 20 Aug '13, 6:17pm.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

If you looked at the bug report, it is currently set to be fixed in 505: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10415

Comment

• CygnusFTK
                  • Jun 2013
                  • 5.0.X

Thank you, Zachery. Long scrolling due to many sub-forums is causing people to moan and groan back home...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...