X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonmo
    • Dec 2004
    • 5.0.X

Unread Posts

I probably missed this, but I couldn't find it via search. In vb4 my registered users could see all unread posts. How can I provide this feature in vb5? Shouldn't Latest Activity offer a filter for Unread Posts?
  • IggyP
    • Mar 2012

ya im not sure i like how this is currently set up either....my latest activity box shows the new posts, the first post of the thread, and also, if you commented on a post it will show that too......so thats 3 posts, 2 of which people have already read, in the latest activity box...........

i did not see any option to show only new content or anything like that, just to show only the title post and such

Comment

• tonmo
      • Dec 2004
      • 5.0.X

You can create a Search module which will show you all recent posts (not just new topics, if you prefer) in descending order. This view also shows unread posts in bold font, which is good, but there is no option for the Webmaster to configure the module such that it only shows unread posts.

Comment

• IggyP
        • Mar 2012

ok, i see what your saying...that could be helpful too no doubt!

i dont see option for new posts to be listed the way i want tho...for example on this vb site i can see it least seems to work like that, but with my tests anything that posts single posts only(such as listing by relevance) posts them out of order from when they were posted, or includes first posts of threads and such...

the best settings i have found so far is:
        sort by-->DATE-last update
        order-->decending
        view-->topics

then they are at least in order to what was updated last, and you can see how many posts per topic, who posted last, and unread topics are bold.....but cant preview the new posts like when its setup the other ways

sorry to push into your thread a bit tonmo, i am curious if im just missing someth obvious or what
        Last edited by IggyP; Sat 8 Jun '13, 9:43pm.

Comment

• tonmo
          • Dec 2004
          • 5.0.X

sorry to push into your thread a bit tonmo, i am curious if im just missing someth obvious or what
          If it weren't for you we'd have no thread! I think there's a "Style" drop-down somewhere in the Search Module config where you can choose "default", "topic" or "preview" (or something like that). Whatever the case, I think you want the 3rd one.

Comment

• IggyP
            • Mar 2012

arf, thats the view-->topics one i listed...the other option is compact which is very basic with no images etc.....with those settings i listed its similar to a typical new post list, but i kinda like the post txt preview...too much clutter as is tho..

i was thinking there should be something like the titles checkbox, but that could remove the thread starting post or something.....gonna have to get into jira after 5.0.3

or like you are saying one that lists only the posts that a certain logged member hasnt seen....should be able to shoehorn an option like that in somewhere, lol

Comment

• tonmo
              • Dec 2004
              • 5.0.X

Hi -- bumping this because I realize it's still not resolved (almost have my site running again after two months of pain... don't ask!)

Does anyone know how to create a JSON query, or something, to show Unread Posts?? Not "since last visit" or "today's posts" but simply, Unread.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I don't think there is an easy way to do that right now, sadly.

Comment

• tonmo
                  • Dec 2004
                  • 5.0.X

Wow, that feels like a core feature. Is there a Jira item for this? Or a hard way to accomplish the task? :-)

Comment

• J B
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 5.0.X

Is there any chance this feature will be added

Comment

• tonmo
                      • Dec 2004
                      • 5.0.X

I certainly hope so - please vote for this item to raise awareness: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-8137. Basics.

Comment

• VIPxAH
                        • Jul 2018
                        • 5.3.x

seriously, this is missing? how could you possibly remove that?
                        i'm just in the process of setting up a vb5 but if there really is no "unread posts" list i think that could be a dealbreaker for me.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by VIPxAH
                          seriously, this is missing? how could you possibly remove that?
                          i'm just in the process of setting up a vb5 but if there really is no "unread posts" list i think that could be a dealbreaker for me.
                          It isn't... This is why it isn't worthwhile to reply to topics that are five years old.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment