X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pwhitehead
    • Jun 2010
    • 4.2.X

Scary Permissions Issue!

Normally as anyone would i download the vb 5.0.2 zip from the members area. When i upload the package to bluehost and extract the permissions for everything are set to 775 when the folders should be set to 755 and files should be set to 644. Is this an issue anyone else is having problems with. There is an open ticket about a problem i'm having with vbulletin as far as not being able to load the install.php file. I'm getting complaints that i shouldn't use the directory include, still not working. Finally a dev got back to me and explained the server is returning lots of errors relating to mod_rewrite.

I called bluehost and was on the phone with them for two hours working out this situation. The tech guy would change the permission to a folder or a file and the error would change from that file to another file. Could the permissions be totally messed up in the zip folder being downloaded from the members area? Sounds kinda pushy and stupid of me to say this, but bluehost guarantees its a permimssions problem. Before i manually change all files and folders to its right permissions to rule it out, I really want to make vbulletin dev team aware of my problem. Hopefully it can be fixed only because this program worked fine and flawlessly on my local host and now when i try n upload to a web host its giving me a bunch of crap that isn't needed.

Thanks again community for putting up with my pain in the ass, but i would really love and get to the bottom of the problem here.
  • pwhitehead
    • Jun 2010
    • 4.2.X

Update to the situation. I took the files and selected them all in the uploads folder and dragged them into the directory i needed them to be in and its setting the permissions to what i need them to be. wtf is going on? im baffled. this worked using filezilla instead of extracting the zip on the webhost its self.

Comment

• pwhitehead
      • Jun 2010
      • 4.2.X

Wrote back to my Ticket, Problem Solved!!

I have found a solution to my problem!!

For some reason when I take the whole zip file i download from my members page and extract it in my file manager (bluehost) the default permission is being set to 775. I'm guessing because i uploaded the do_not_upload folder and it was done by default as a security measure?

When i took the upload folder and put its contents in a renamed folder and compressed it and then uploaded and extracted (bluehost) the files were chmod correctly [folders 755 and files 644]

Also when i used file zilla i noticed that file zilla chmods all the files correctly for you. I called bluehost and addressed them with this information. The only solution we could come up with is it because the do_not_upload folder was uploaded and by default the files were set to chmod 775 for a security measure. I'm proud to say all my files are properly chmod, indeed it was a permissions problem and im currently installing my vbulletin 5.0.2 software!!

Please make this a sticky in the forums, and make other customers aware of this problem! I see lots of customers who pay lots of money and i think that this will help big time!

Thanks for your support, I F'n love you guys, you're worth every penny of my check book for this wonderful support team here.

Please forward this to your superiors and show them how proud i am of your service!

Comment

• DemOnstar
        • Nov 2012

I too will use filezilla to upload from localhost, I have copied the contents of this thread for future reference should I need it. Thank you....

Comment

• pwhitehead
          • Jun 2010
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DemOnstar
          I too will use filezilla to upload from localhost, I have copied the contents of this thread for future reference should I need it. Thank you....
          For some odd reason when you extract the whole zip file on hosts such as bluehost, hostgator and a few others the files become automatically 775. This means vb wont work right and return tons of rewrite errors to the server like was happening to me..

What i figured out was it is MUCH NEEDED to upload the files through filezilla because most hosts dont let the user upload multi files in cpannel. Uploading the files through file zilla, every file was chmod correctly as 644 and the folder was chmod to 755.

Comment

• DemOnstar
            • Nov 2012

Now, I didn't unzip the file on the host, I did it locally and then uploaded with filezilla. It took a while to do but they were all there. Unfortunately I didn't check how chmod read. I have different issues.
            I will repeat the same procedure next time round. Probably at 5.0.3 depending on how it is.

Comment

• pwhitehead
              • Jun 2010
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DemOnstar
              Now, I didn't unzip the file on the host, I did it locally and then uploaded with filezilla. It took a while to do but they were all there. Unfortunately I didn't check how chmod read. I have different issues.
              I will repeat the same procedure next time round. Probably at 5.0.3 depending on how it is.
              If you need a hang, ask.. Vbulletin is great to the point where at least the install should work flawlessly.. But yeah if you extract the zip from your c-panel host it will chmod all files to 775 and the permissions will be all screwy.. Doing it through an ftp client, it knows that folders should b chmod to 755 and files to 644. Web hosting companies should have their extractor do this for you since you cant upload multiple files. Some people dont like using ftp clients cause once vb is installed, one isnt needed..

Something about this should def be posted as a sticky or in the help .html files that comes with the project about this problem.

Comment

• DemOnstar
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by pwhitehead
                Something about this should def be posted as a sticky or in the help .html files that comes with the project about this problem.
                If the problem becomes widespread, I guess support will be on to it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...