Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiskeyOSS
    • Apr 2010

Installed 5.0.0 all go boom

Hey guys I went to upgrade to 5.0.0 and all went boom My site crashed so for the time being I am having to do a complete restore to fix the mess I created I willl give 5.0.0 a shot by its self and see if i can get it to load up .. if you want to see what it looks like feel free ... www.teamsrgaming.com normally this is a simple fix in the config.php but it did not work this time..
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

What do you mean your site crashed?

Comment

• evil-maniac
      • May 2005

That looks like what happens when you turn your forums off from the settings.

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Zachery
        What do you mean your site crashed?
        Well I did the 5.0.0 and what you see is how my forums are they are all messed up and they did this after I tried to make a post in them because the back ground and transparency was not working, and you could not click on new post it would not work.. so any way I am doing a restore of my data base back to beta27 and then i will copy just my data base and create a new forum with 5.0.0 and will see if it works with a clean file structure and such then I will start to modify it again.. to a transparency ( its all good bro) I will get it fixed..

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

Are you doing this on a test site (recommended) or doing a major upgrade like this first on a live site (not recommended)?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Lynne
            Are you doing this on a test site (recommended) or doing a major upgrade like this first on a live site (not recommended)?
            Ok sorry for the delay but Its Friday (business day) I did create a back up but I also deleted it by accident. so here is the 411, On my live site I started to upgrade to 5.0.0 and had all of the fore mentioned issues and it now looks like heck if you go look at it its all garbled up and out of proportion it looks like crap and is un-usable My provider was supposed install a back up they have of the data base and files but seems it did not work so I am working with them and unless one of you folks have an Idea I will prolly start over.. not going to get to excited about it..

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
              • Apr 2010

Well I have the site running beta27 again so who do I speak with to get 5.0.0 to install without loosing my site look and ability to work correctly ?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

Additional info in this topic: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...e-on-test-site

It is difficult to say what you will need to do without knowing the original error. You mentioned an incorrect config path, that would be the most likely place to start.

Definitely make a backup this time and make sure it doesn't get deleted until you are sure the upgrade works.

Do you have a copy or remember the values you used in the front end config.php file the first time? This is the one in the main directory, not in /core/includres/.

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                  • Apr 2010

I did not change the config file it is the same one that is running now, on my beta27 site .. Joe this should be a simple maneuver, Unzip and over write the files and run the upgrade.php and what happen was what I described, there was never an error message never... just a very messed up page maybe some files were missing.. I have a spare url and I will redirect it to this provider and import the file structure and the Data base and attempt to install 5.0.0 to it and see if I have this problem again if i do I will take pics and post them and a url where it can be viewed be advised this will be a test site only..

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

"A very messed up page" isn't a helpful description to begin figuring out what is wrong.

Please if it happens again take a screenshot- it will give us some idea where to start.

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by WhiskeyOSS
                      I did not change the config file it is the same one that is running now, on my beta27 site .. Joe this should be a simple maneuver, Unzip and over write the files and run the upgrade.php and what happen was what I described, there was never an error message never... just a very messed up page maybe some files were missing.. I have a spare url and I will redirect it to this provider and import the file structure and the Data base and attempt to install 5.0.0 to it and see if I have this problem again if i do I will take pics and post them and a url where it can be viewed be advised this will be a test site only..
                      Seriously Joe !!! what did i post....

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                        • Apr 2010

This is what the page looks like after running the upgrade to 5.0.0 .. this is what I call Messed up...click on the a I guess this is not working right

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n59851[/ATTACH]
                        Last edited by WhiskeyOSS; Sun 3 Mar '13, 11:42am.

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                          • Apr 2010

This is what I have found out, VB5 .0 .0 is not compatible with my modified style, I can install vb5.0.0 on a clean slate with no issues at all but as soon and I introduce my modified style into it it crashes not real bad , I can not edit the pages or use any of the links because they will no longer work. the back ground image will not work, and many of my vars edits are no longer so basically speaking it is not compatible with modified styles that work fine on the beta version ... in fact I tried to copy this all to a new server and then removed the modified themes and it still would not allow me to upgrade to 5.0.0 from beta 27 so for me to use 5.0.0 at this time my user are all lost and 500 messages are down the drain also.. I do not find it very productive but I guess unless some of you guru's who really are guru's step up and give me some suggestions I am stuck with creating a new forums...

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                            • Apr 2010

Why does this image path cause my forums to just garble up url("images/styles/METAL/wall.jpg this is a background image, I am editing a new style and when I attempt to use image path it crashes

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                              • Apr 2010

Should I create a ticket on this to get some answers since it a 5.0.0 issue...

Comment

• Ramsesx
                                Ramsesx commented
                                Editing a comment
                                yes, open a ticket
                            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...