Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come there's no template for 50/50 two columns, and how do I make one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come there's no template for 50/50 two columns, and how do I make one?

I'm creating a new page, looking at templates - I'd like a 50/50 two column layout. But it seems not there...

PS. running 5.3.4

https://vbmods.rocks/forum/vbulletin...e-70-30-layout

Comment

Thanks, that doesn't really answer the question, although I joined over there and have asked for some more info.

It really seems sort of an oversight that there isn't a 50/50 template...

Comment

There is no 50/50 template, the instructions linked to will enable you to change the width using css.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.0 Demo - FEATURING "ROUTE BY NODE"!
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

OK, I tried that and the results are less than acceptable. If you set it to have two equally sized columns at full width using that method, and you start making the page narrower, it shrinks the left one smaller and smaller while the right one stays wide, ir really doesn't work well. A true 50/50 template would shrink both columns at the same ratio, maintaining the 50/50 aspect until the point at which one module moves under the other. So don't you think a true 50/50 would be useful? I'm just curious as to why this was left out.

Comment

• In Omnibus
            In Omnibus commented
            Editing a comment
            50/50 layouts are awful for the end user. The eyes don't know where to focus if the page is split in half. I'm not sure I've ever seen a "successful" site that uses a 50/50 layout. I'm not implying it wouldn't serve a specific need in some cases but any theme designer would recommend having a central focus area on each page. It's much easier on the eyes.

• StephenKay
            StephenKay commented
            Editing a comment
            Really? Then what's good about a 33/33/33 (which is supplied)? Anyway, I happen to have two static HTML areas displaying information on a custom page. They both would perfectly occupy half of the available width. Making it 70/30 or 60/40 doesn't really use the space properly.

If the CS solution provided is unsatisfactory, the only option is to raise an improvement request for it to be added:
          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=4
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.0 Demo - FEATURING "ROUTE BY NODE"!
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

For the sake of others who wants the 50-50 layout, here it is: https://vbmods.rocks/forum/vbulletin...n-50-50-layout

Personally, I'm not a fan of that layout. But depending on what the content is and how it is presented, using it may not be as awful as it sounds. Maybe if StephenKay can link to his page that uses that layout, we could see if it's good or not.

AutoLinker-vB5+vBCloud | Topic Starter Ribbon | Blur Replies for Guests | NavMenu Dropdown-vB5+vBCloud | TimedSticky | Events Module | Moderator List | Drag/Drop Upload

Comment

Thanks, Glenn. I'm still playing around with and deciding if I like it. I agree it may not be best. 40/60 might be better - which I can do with your other posted modifications!

Comment

Working...
              X