Trying to duplicate "Trending" Module on another page

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to duplicate "Trending" Module on another page

I've made a new page, and I want to duplicate the default Trending Module from the default Forums page on it.

I put in the Search Module, and carefully copied all settings from the one on the Forums page, including switching to the advanced view and copying the JSON text.

Yet my duplicate continues to show "Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again."

I've checked multiple times, the settings appear identical, including Number of Results = 5 and the JSON. What could I be overlooking? Thanks.

There is also a trending-module in the widget-selection. You have to choose that because the data is different to the search-module.
    vBulletin-forum.de | Das deutschsprachige vBulletin 5 Forum! | Widgets, Mods und Anleitungen auf deutsch.
    Team online, Latest Profile-Visitors, Disable-Postcount, Auto-close Threads, Latest Likes, Top-Posters PRO, New&Free: vB5 MemberMap

Comment

I tried the trending module, thanks for pointing it out. However, it still does the exact same thing. I have duplicated the settings of the trending module on the forums/home page, copied the JSON text, yet the original works and the duplicate shows "Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again."

Comment

I cannot solve this. Settings are duplicated. Anyone from VB want to comment?

Comment

I did finally solve this, by turning off the "Load from Current Page" checkbox (on the one that I was trying to duplicate on my new page) and selecting a bunch of channels. I don't quite understand what this does and the manual says nothing about it. Since I was copying the one on the Forums main page, I guess this was set to pull content from everything that was on that page? And since my duplicate was on a page that had no channels, it couldn't grab anything...?

Comment

Right. If you set "Load from Current Page" and not set any sources the data will fetch only the posts and data from the current page. If there is nothing on the current page it could not fetch anything.
            vBulletin-forum.de | Das deutschsprachige vBulletin 5 Forum! | Widgets, Mods und Anleitungen auf deutsch.
            Team online, Latest Profile-Visitors, Disable-Postcount, Auto-close Threads, Latest Likes, Top-Posters PRO, New&Free: vB5 MemberMap

Comment

Originally posted by StephenKay View Post
              I did finally solve this, by turning off the "Load from Current Page" checkbox (on the one that I was trying to duplicate on my new page) and selecting a bunch of channels. I don't quite understand what this does and the manual says nothing about it. Since I was copying the one on the Forums main page, I guess this was set to pull content from everything that was on that page? And since my duplicate was on a page that had no channels, it couldn't grab anything...?
              It is a search module. It has to have valid sources to search for content. The check box is if you're using it on a channel page, like the one for this forum, and want to restrict the results to that channel. If it is a custom page, that page is not a source of content.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                Wayne Luke commented
                Editing a comment

• StephenKay
                StephenKay commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, those JIRAs would help. Not to be snarky, but why isn't everything explained in the manual? Especially configurable settings in a module? It is in most other software I've purchased. If this had been described in the manual I wouldn't have had to waste anyone's time with this thread.

• Wayne Luke
                Wayne Luke commented
                Editing a comment
                I maintain the manual. Just me. And I am working on it with the link in my signature. However, I don't have a lot of time to spend on it. The software needs to be explained inline and the options need to be clear. Making the software self-explanatory makes it easier to use and available on more devices. Everyone doesn't have access to keep the manual open in one window and the software in another.