2nd Forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Site Builder] 2nd Forum?

Hello. I have my forum and it's running fine. We don't have a blog section, groups, etc. I removed all of those when I set up the forum. My question is, can I have more forum pages on a different tab in the nav bar? For example, my main forum has several sections (channels?) and sub-forums within each channel. Could I move one of those channels to it's own tab in the navigation bar?

If so, how would I do that?

You can put a direct link to a forum in your navbar yes. It won't alter the actual forum page though and will just link directly to the channel.

Best way to do that is to go into AdminCP > Channel Management > Channel Manager and find the node ID, then make the URL that way, using domain.com/node/xxx where xxx is the node ID.

As an example, have a look at my demo site www.adminammo.com where I have just done this as an example.
    There is a navbar link to "Chit Chat Forum" which is one of the forums there.
    The target URL is set to simply node/175 as 175 is the nodeid I got from the channel manager.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

So, this is exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm an absolute novice about computer stuff. I was only able to install my forum because of the step-by-step instructions. Beyond finding the node id that you mentioned, I don't know how to do anything else to get this set up.

Also, would I be able to move a channel that is already set up and has posts in it over to the new forum area?

Comment

Originally posted by online68 View Post
        So, this is exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm an absolute novice about computer stuff. I was only able to install my forum because of the step-by-step instructions. Beyond finding the node id that you mentioned, I don't know how to do anything else to get this set up.

Also, would I be able to move a channel that is already set up and has posts in it over to the new forum area?
        Open Site Builder (Turn on the Edit Site button at the top of any forum page)
        Click Navigation Bar from the header.
        In the Main Navigation Bar box, click "New Navigation Item"
        Complete the fields as follows:

Navigation Item Name: Enter what you want the tab to say.
        Target URL: node/XXX (where XXX is the nodeid)

Save all the way out.

You aren't actually moving any forum from anywhere, you are simply providing a different means to access a specific forum directly, so you can do this with any existing forum, or any new one you create. You can also link direct to categories.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	4381781

Comment

Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess what I mean is that want a whole separate area within my forum. For example, if I wanted a separate forum area for photos only that was not part of the main forum, but a member could click on the nav bar for the photos area and have it be it's whole separate forum and not viewable on the main part of the forum. Is that possible?

-or- could I hide that channel on the main forum so that it's only viewable on the nav bar link?

Comment

Originally posted by online68 View Post
            Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess what I mean is that want a whole separate area within my forum. For example, if I wanted a separate forum area for photos only that was not part of the main forum, but a member could click on the nav bar for the photos area and have it be it's whole separate forum and not viewable on the main part of the forum. Is that possible?

-or- could I hide that channel on the main forum so that it's only viewable on the nav bar link?
            Yes you can set the display order for that forum to 0 then it won't show in the main list, but will be accessible via the direct link in the tab. This is in the Channel Manager in the admincp.

Comment

Woot!!! Thank you sooooo much!!!!!

Comment