Putting adverts in posts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting adverts in posts

I've just discovered, by accident, that you can put adverts in the first and/or last post of articles by editing the article display module. (see screenshot)

but it also put the ads in the posts on the forum despite this being called "conversation detail module" which is a different module.

Why can't they be treated as separate, I don't want the ads in posts, only articles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	adding adverts to posts in articles.png Views:	1 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	4380716

Last edited by MrsTiggywinkle; Tue 7th Nov '17, 7:14am. Reason: I was wrong about some things. :)

Fundamentally and as far as the system is concerned, there is no difference between an article or forum discussion. Or a private message or blog entry for all that is concerned. In the database, they are all stored using the same tools. The code to present them is almost all the same. Only the presentation is different.

However, you can have different options set per content type. Heck, you can have different layouts and modules on the page per forum if you want.
    1. Go to a discussion in your forums and select Edit Page.
    2. Save the page.
    3. When it says "Overwrite Template," select No.
    4. Give it a new name like "Forum Conversation Template"
    5. Continue Saving.
    6. Now you can edit the options in the Forum Discussion and it won't affect Articles and vice versa.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Heck, you can have different layouts and modules on the page per forum if you want.
      Thanks Wayne.

This is why we need your user manual. No way of knowing something like this without trial and error or by asking questions on here.

Comment

I also noticed that the ads in forum posts fit nicely with the text to the left and ad to the right but in articles the ad is at the top right and pushes the text below it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post
          I also noticed that the ads in forum posts fit nicely with the text to the left and ad to the right but in articles the ad is at the top right and pushes the text below it.
          I'd suggest logging that as a bug.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.2 Demo - FEATURING "ROUTE BY NODE"!
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

I'd suggest logging that as a bug.
            Done: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17882

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post

Thanks Wayne.

This is why we need your user manual. No way of knowing something like this without trial and error or by asking questions on here.
              If only, I had 48 hours per day. I get paid to answer questions and writing is secondary. Kind of a catch-22.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

If you want, you can move the ads in between first and 2nd posts.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/node/4131238

AutoLinker-vB5+vBCloud | NavMenu Dropdown-vB5+vBCloud | TimedSticky | Video Attachments Player | Blur Replies for Guests | Drag/Drop Upload | Topic Starter Ribbon | Topic AJAX Auto-Update

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

If only, I had 48 hours per day. I get paid to answer questions and writing is secondary. Kind of a catch-22.
                  fully understand Wayne and appreciate everything you do here and the same to all the other support staff. You're all amazing

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara View Post
                  If you want, you can move the ads in between first and 2nd posts.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/node/4131238
                  That's brilliant thanks Glenn, we used to have ads between posts on our v4 would be great to have them back.

Comment

Working...
                  X