Where is the article display module?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the article display module?

I'm trying to add news to my homepage but can't seem to find the "article display module" that's indicated on the Articles page.
    Any idea how I would do this?

If I understand the question you will want to use the Search Module in SiteBuilder. It can be configured to show only articles and further defined to specific users, search terms, dates, etc,

Comment

Originally posted by ProSportsForums View Post
      If I understand the question you will want to use the Search Module in SiteBuilder. It can be configured to show only articles and further defined to specific users, search terms, dates, etc,
      Sounds good.
      I followed a tutorial using JSON in another thread but the code appears to be invalid:
      Code:
      {"date":{"from":"lastVisit"},"view":"topic","sort":{"lastcontent":"desc"},"exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}
      ie.
      Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again.
      Last edited by JohnPBee; Sun 25th Oct '15, 5:41am.

Comment

JSON is not my strong suite, however I believe your string should resemble the following:

{"date":{"from":"7"},"type":["vBForum_Gallery","vBForum_Link","vBForum_Photo","vBForum_Poll","vBForum_Text","vBForum_Vi deo"],"channel":["14"],"sort":{"relevance":"desc"},"view":"","exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage"]}

Yours appears to be missing parameters. It looks as though it is defined to show everything from everywhere except private messages. I'm almost positive that was not your intention.

Comment

Originally posted by ProSportsForums View Post
          Yours appears to be missing parameters. It looks as though it is defined to show everything from everywhere except private messages. I'm almost positive that was not your intention.
          Excellent work, and yes this got it working.
          And while I know this isn't your strong suite, I wanted to ask if you perhaps knew how to include photos(article headline img for example) and the "read more..." function?
          Also, would you perhaps know how to do a multi column layout like the article module?

Which leads me to my next question.
          Why is there no Article module to choose from as in the default Articles page?

Comment

Some of your questions are better answered by vBulletin staff although I can venture a few guesses. An "Articles" module is really nothing more than a specific search module. Because vB5 uses nodes it's far more flexible to create a customized search than it is to simply have a "one size fits all" articles module. That is actually helpful to something like displaying multiple columns of articles. In order to do that you would want to first change the page layout in sitebuilder to one of the available two or three column layouts. For article type content the 50/50 or 33/33/33 layouts might best serve your purposes although that is entirely your personal preference. In order to best utilize a multiple column article layout you'll want to create a unique JSON search for each column such that each displays unique content and none is duplicated in other modules. You could do this any number of ways, including by node ID or by keyword or perhaps by content type. To create the article preview (the "read more ...") links you will want to define your article preview length in AdminCP / Settings / Options / Content Management / Default CMS Preview Length in Characters You may also wish to change the Article Preview Image Size from thumbnail to another size.

Comment

Why is there no Article module to choose from as in the default Articles page?
              The "Article" module is just a copy of the Activity Stream module. The developers call these copies "Clones" but they are really variants. Which is available in Site Builder. The copy isn't really meant to be used elsewhere though. However for most things it works the same elsewhere. The Activity Stream module and its variants are also used to display forums and blogs. The only real difference with the Article Module is to allow the "Pseudo-card Display" and multiple columns. The search module isn't really a replacement. However the Articles module variant only works if it is tied to an Articles channel.

Adding news via the Search Template would give a new layout. However you can try using the Topic display mode instead of the default. "view":"topic" in your JSON. You wouldn't be able to do a multiple column layout without adding multiple templates and they could duplicate information.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 26th Oct '15, 11:54am.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                The "Article" module is just a copy of the Activity Stream module.
                Is it possible to copy or replicate the Articles module?

I want to display the articles on the front page of my site in two columns with images and the read more.. function just like on the articles page. But I haven't been able to pull this off using the search or activity module which is very frustrating to say the least.

That said, I'd gladly convert the Articles page into a homepage if that didn't mean loosing the articles page, but it doesn't appear as though I can do that either :/
                Needless to say, vBulletin 5 is turning out to be very frustrating in this way as I could have done what I'm after using vBadvanced and with far less hassle.

PS. I've had a support ticket open on this for a couple of days now, and discovered that the support person assisting wasn't aware that the Article module provided columns. To which I'd add, really doesn't inspire confidence.
                Last edited by JohnPBee; Mon 26th Oct '15, 2:03pm.

Comment

Why not just make the Articles page your home page?

Edit the forums page in Site Builder and save it to change the URL. Set its URL to something else like /forums.

Edit the Articles page in Site Builder and save it to change the URL. Set its URL to /.

If you want, edit the navigation to change the name of the Articles tab to Home and move its location on the bar.

Then add whatever additional modules you want to the Articles Page.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    Why not just make the Articles page your home page?
                    I thought of this also, and I would... though this creates a problem as I would no longer have a newsroom page(articles) which contains all of my news by category etc.

Comment