Changing Domain Name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Domain Name

I want to change the domain name of my vbulletin site. I spent a few days already creating my forums and saving preferences, etc. I talked to my hosting company and they said that its easy to buy a new domain through their site and then I can change the primary domain to the new one. Im wondering if this will cause headaches for me. Once I purchase a new domain, are there a lot of complicated steps to transfer my vbulletin forums to the new domain?

I know that I will have to change the new header name of my site and maybe a few names, but I just don't want to have to do all the work I have done already all over again.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

these are the steps I was told, and some are pretty straightforward, but the part where I have to move "files with the new domain account." what does that mean?

Open forum Admincp
    Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details
    and change settings with your new domain settings
    Move your files with the new domain account or if its a add-on domain (recommended) move file to the new directory
    Create a .htaccess file into your old domain forum root folder [ its for redirection and keep the old link available ] ( a simple file attached and you can edit file with your settings.
    To save internal old links follow that steps to creating a new replacement variable
    Open Admincp -> Settings -> Styles & Templates -> Replacement Variable Manager
    Click [Add New Replacement Variable] with your current style .
    Search for Text : type your old forum full URL like http://www.vbulletin.com/forum (do not add a trailing slash / ).
    Replace with Text : type your new forum full URL like http://www.3ly.info/forum (do not add a trailing slash / ).
    Change your license with your new domain name

Comment

Does someone know if it's really so simpel?

I followed the error info I got when I tried to login to the admincp on the new domain, the error was this:
      In order to accept POST requests originating from this domain, the admin must add the domain to the whitelist.
      So I went to the Vbulletin 5.2.0 Admin CP on the old domain, -> OPTIONS -> Site Name / URL / Contact details -> Redirect Domain Whitelist and here I enterered the new domain without trailing slash... still the same error as above?? Anyone knows how this works.

I have cleared the CACHE in VBulletin after the change.
      Last edited by fionix; Sat 19th Mar '16, 7:13am.
      Cyprus Company Formation
      |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

update:
        I found where to whitelist but then I just changed everything as per OP's post above. The result is now, it redirectrs to the old login (means the login on the old domain) do you know what I have to change so it logins to the Admin of the new domain please?
        Cyprus Company Formation
        |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

When you follow OP's description it will work, however, you need to make sure to run the TOOLS.PHP after you made the changes. This you do by uploading the install DIR again and then run the script. Once you are there, delete all cache files. So it will work. Took me some hours to get this work proparly.
          Cyprus Company Formation

Comment