"Error Exception Trace" when trying to save edited page

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Error Exception Trace" when trying to save edited page

I've just upgraded my live site from vB4 to vB5. I'm trying to change the default landing page from the forums page to the articles page in site builder. I can't change the articles page to */ without changing the forums page first, because the forums page has the url */ and each time I try and save it gives me the message "that URL is already taken."

So I'm trying to change the forums page from */ to either */forums or */community and each time I try and save it gives me an error message saying "Error Exception Trace" when I try to save the page.

What's the problem and how do I change this?

PS: I've also tried changing the landing page to 'forum' as well, that didn't work either.
    Last edited by jdj; Tue 11th Nov '14, 6:05am.

I just did this very thing on my test server.

yoursite/forum sitebuilder > edit page >save page, change url to {whatever you want to call it}, select overwrite template >NO, enter new name, click OK.

Then yoursite/articles > sitebuilder > edit page >save page, change url to {leave blank}, select "overwrite template > NO", enter new name, click OK.

This worked on my test server flawlessly without errors. Good Luck.

Comment

The above should work, I've seen it used on other sites where this has been an issue.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Replicant View Post
        I just did this very thing on my test server.

yoursite/forum sitebuilder > edit page >save page, change url to {whatever you want to call it}, select overwrite template >NO, enter new name, click OK.

Then yoursite/articles > sitebuilder > edit page >save page, change url to {leave blank}, select "overwrite template > NO", enter new name, click OK.

This worked on my test server flawlessly without errors. Good Luck.
        I am doing exactly as you have just described. edit page, save page, change url to blank, select overwrite template "no" enter new name, click OK. And it gives me this error message. "Error Exception Trace."

Anybody know what this is?

Comment

Please raise a support ticket so we can have a look at your setup (include a link to this topic).
          http://www.vbulletin.com/go/techsupport

We'll need ftp access, and the AdminCP login.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• jdj
            jdj commented
            Editing a comment
            I submitted a support ticket a couple of hours ago.

• jdj
            jdj commented
            Editing a comment
            I've tried everything suggested in the support ticket; it didn't work. I've sent back some of the error messages I'm receiving in the support ticket.

What's the problem?

As per my previous comments: I was advised in the support ticket to check the URLs - I did that, they were correct anyway. I was also advised to make sure that both sites had the same cookie prefix; I changed the cookie prefix for the live site, then went back and tried in site builder to change the URL for the forum page from */ to forums and then subsequently to */community. In both cases I got the same message 'Error Exception Trace.' I also got an email which I copied and pasted back into the sensitive area of the support ticket. No reply as yet.

What's my problem? What does the error message mean? How do I get around the problem?

Comment

Still trying to fix this; I can change the landing page on my test site but not on my live site.

Where in the database are the 'pages' kept? I.e. where are */, */articles, */forum kept in order that I can see what pages are there?

Comment

I'm not getting anywhere with my support ticket; I had a message a couple of days ago from support saying "I have applied a patch" that didn't change anything and I don't know what the patch was. I can change the landing page on my test site but not my live site so there must be a simple explanation for this. I've also asked where in the database the 'pages' are kept so I can see what the problem is but there's been no reply.

So trying again today; I'm trying to change the default landing page from the forum page to the articles page (CMS), which we use as a news page. I've just changed the default landing page which is pointing to the forum page from mysite.com/ to mysite.com/forum. If I visit the site now the effect of this is that the forum page has remained the default landing page, but no tabs in the navigation bar are showing as 'selected' as you would expect.

If I hit the "Forum" tab which is currently set to mysite.com/forum the Forum tab is selected and I see home>forum in the breadcrumb (see attached image).

If I hit the "News" (My old CMS tab, currently pointing at mysite.com/articles) in the breadcrumb, the "News" tab is selected and I see home>HOME PAGE in the breadcrumb (the old name for the top article in my old CMS in vB4) as per the attached image. If I follow the breadcrumb back by hitting the first word 'home' in the breadcrumb the breadcrumb disappears and I am back to having no tab selected in the navigation bar with the forum page showing.

If I go back to mysite.com/articles, edit page, save page and try to change that from mysite.com/articles to mysite.com that tells me the URL is already taken.

So if I follow the breadcrumb back again to no tabs selected, no breadcrumb showing with mysite.com showing in the browser bar to see if I can get this page to vacate this URL, if I hit edit page, save page and try to save it to anything else I get the error message "exception trace."

So what is it that I have to do to change this? And where in the database are these 'pages' stored?

Attached Files
              Last edited by jdj; Thu 13th Nov '14, 2:25am.

Comment

Originally posted by jdj View Post
                So if I follow the breadcrumb back again to no tabs selected, no breadcrumb showing with mysite.com showing in the browser bar to see if I can get this page to vacate this URL, if I hit edit page, save page and try to save it to anything else I get the error message "exception trace."
                When I've just had the error message above when trying to change mysite.com/articles to mysite.com/ I get an email with the following error message which says "MySQL Error: Duplicate entry 'home' for key 'route_name'.

So somebody somewhere must know the answer to this problem and what it is I have to do to change it.

Database error in vBulletin 5.1.3:

Invalid SQL:
                INSERT INTO vbroutenew (`name`,`prefix`,`regex`,`class`,`controller`,`action`,`template`,`arguments`,`contentid`, `guid`,`product`)
                VALUES('home','oldforums','oldforums(?:/page(?P<pagenum>[0-9]+))?','vB5_Route_Channel','page','index','','a:4:{s:9:"channelid";i:1;s:6:"nodeid";i:1;s:7 :"pagenum";s:8:"$pagenum";s:6:"pageid";i:294;}',1,'vbulletin-4ecbdacd6a4ad0.58738735','vbulletin')
                /**routenew**/;

MySQL Error : Duplicate entry 'home' for key 'route_name'
                Error Number : 1062
                Request Date : Thursday, November 13th 2014 @ 11:09:08 AM
                Error Date : Thursday, November 13th 2014 @ 11:09:08 AM
                Script : http:///ajax/api/page/pageSave
                Referrer : http://mysite.com
                IP Address : 82.69.92.49
                Username : Myusername
                Classname : vB_Database_MySQLi
                MySQL Version : 5.5.38

PS: I have tried changing the name of node id 1 in the channel manager from 'home' to something else but that made no difference, I still get the error message 'exception trace' with the same email. The first word 'home' in the breadcrumb also did not change.
                Last edited by jdj; Thu 13th Nov '14, 3:17am.

Comment

I've been looking in the database at the node table and the pages table. The node table seems to contain records that might be causing a problem but as I don't really know how vB5 works I can't be sure.

Specifically, in the node table node id 1 has the following records

nodeid---------- routeid-------- title--------------------- htmltitle--------------- urlident
                  1----------------- 4---------------- Home Page--------- Home Page---------- home-page
                  13--------------- 43--------------- HOME PAGE------- HOME PAGE-------- home-page

So the upgrade script ran, it created the nodes it created and some of the records for the old 'nodes' happen to be the same as some of the records for the new 'nodes' post upgrade. Is the fact that the urlident for node 1 is the same as the urlident for node 13 what's causing the problem?

Can someone answer my support ticket please? Presumably these 'nodes' can be edited directly from the vBulletin software somewhere so it doesn't require making database changes and I ought to be able to get support.

Comment

Originally posted by jdj View Post
                    So the upgrade script ran, it created the nodes it created and some of the records for the old 'nodes' happen to be the same as some of the records for the new 'nodes' post upgrade. Is the fact that the urlident for node 1 is the same as the urlident for node 13 what's causing the problem?

Can someone answer my support ticket please?
                    I don't really know whether it's nodes or pages that created the problem; I'm guessing it's the 'nodes' created by the upgrade script. Looking at the 'pages' table. I have

pageid---------title-----------------metadescription----------------------------------------------------------routeid

1----------------Home Page------vBulletin forums----------------------------------------------------------4
                    28--------------HOME PAGE----This is the top level CMS page that shows all cate..------------43
                    29--------------HOME PAGE----Articles under the Root Articles Channel---------------------------44

Once again, can somebody answer my support ticket please.

Comment

I have two "home" enties in my routenew table. Yours routing table seems to be vbroutenew.
                      Try this query to see the home entries.

SELECT * FROM vbroutenew WHERE name='home';

This should find your Articles URL

"SELECT * FROM vbroutenew WHERE name LIKE '%rticles%'"

43 | articles-home | NULL

My first home entry has a redirect301 to the second route entry.

routeid | name | redirect301 |
                      126 | home | 218
                      218 | home | NULL

Be careful. The VB database runs around in circles. Node, page, pagetemplate, routenew, widgetinstance tables just to name a few are a good example of this.

Comment

• jdj
                        jdj commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My 'routenew' table contains only one entry as 'home' in the 'name' column. There is an 'articles-home', a 'sghome', and a 'home'. The record saying 'home' is the one with route id 4. It has empty fields in the 'prefix' and 'regex' columns which I guess means that this is responsible for the url */. However, as there is no duplicate 'home' entry I can't see why this routenew table would cause me a message saying 'that url is already taken.'

Originally posted by Replicant View Post
                      Be careful. The VB database runs around in circles. Node, page, pagetemplate, routenew, widgetinstance tables just to name a few are a good example of this.
                      That's why I'm asking for technical support: It seems to me though that as one of the messages I'm getting when trying to change to */ is "that URL is taken" ought to indicate that there are duplicate homepage records somewhere. Whatever is causing it these records are being populated from within the software and I ought to be able to get technical support (I'm paying for it).

Comment

I'm giving up on this. The last answer to my support ticket was "The error isn't for the url ident column though, its for the routenew table....Have you first renamed the home route to something else?" Yes I had renamed it or tried to...but every time I try I get the error message 'exception trace'. I've looked in the database via phpmyadmin and there isn't a duplicate entry in the routenew table. So my best guess is that there's a duplicate page somewhere trying to use one of the existing URLs. vB don't support database changes so until there's a good page manager in vB5 the problem may have to go unfixed.

Comment

• Replicant
                          Replicant commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The server errors I was having that were unresolved and unsolvable are non-existant since the 5.1.4 upgrade. Perhaps that might do it for you. I know 5.1.4 renamed a couple of my routes and added some redirects. For the moment, my forum is purring like a kitten better and functioning better than it ever has.

• jdj
                          jdj commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Since the upgrade to vB5.1.5 I can now do this with no problem. Looks like it was a bug.