A login box module would be great, and in lack thereof, is there a login box URL that I can link to?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vbSuperfan
    • Jun 2019
    • 5.3.x

A login box module would be great, and in lack thereof, is there a login box URL that I can link to?

I would like to be able to provide an informative message to non-logged-in users in certain situations, asking them to log in.

Best of all would be a vBulletin "module" to drop on the vBulletin page in question in the Site Builder, but there seems to be nothing of the kind, am I right? (this would be a great feature suggestion from me otherwise!)

If I cannot show a login-box in a page directly like this, is there at least any way I can provide a link in my message that the users can click to get directly to a login box?

I cannot seem to find any such URL for a login box, but rather only the small drop-down-login option in the top right part of the vBulletin pages, which is quite hard for some users to see.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Updated 27/7/2021: You can use the Display Template Module and tell it to display the login_main template.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-06-10_15-59-06.png Views:	0 Size:	26.7 KB ID:	4416600

You can also put your module on a custom page and direct the user to that location. You can use the Module Permissions to hide the module from users who have already logged in based on their usergroup.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 27 Jul '21, 11:06am.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vbSuperfan
      • Jun 2019
      • 5.3.x

Thanks, works great!

Where can I find more info about all such available "templates" to show in the Display Template Module?

Comment

• vbSuperfan
        • Jun 2019
        • 5.3.x

I found the templates myself under the Style section in the AdminCP.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Some templates may not work properly. Especially if it is a sub-template. I haven't tested to check all the templates.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

The problem with this is the Login form was designed to set focus to the username field on load of the login iframe. On mobile, the module may be at the bottom of the page. So when homepage is loaded, it will scroll immediately to the login module as a result of the username getting focus. This can be annoying to users especially those who are not members of the forum yet.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              glennrocksvb commented
              Editing a comment
              I also use this on my site. But to avoid the issue I mentioned in my previous post, I had to do a workaround for mobile.
          • Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

It is workaround that they can choose to use. It isn't perfect. Changing how the form works actually requires refactoring the entire login process. Something that is on the todo list.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vbSuperfan
              • Jun 2019
              • 5.3.x

The "login_form" display template seems to have stopped working completely in the most recent versions of vBulletin - is this a known issue?

This means that the trick discussed in this thread no longer works now.

When I upgraded my board from version 5.5.6 (Patch Level 1) to the most recent 5.6.2 yesterday, the login form previously displayed by the "login_form" display template simply disappeared, even though the display template module is still there on the page, just as before, when I look in edit mode?

NOTE: The header (title) of the display template module that normally shows the login box on my page still displays on the page, it's just the contents of it that are gone, i.e. the actual login form normally being provided by the "login_form" template, so the problem does indeed seem to be with this specific template.

This must be a bug, right?

Here is the actual HTML output of this display template module in vBulletin 5.5.6:

And here is the HTML output of the same, now non-working, display template module in vBulletin 5.6.2:

As you can clearly see, the display template module still tries to render the "login_form" template, but fails to output any actual HTML code for it!?

Can this template be fixed directly in my current vBulletin instance, e.g. from the Admin CP, or will I need to wait for a new, bugfixed, version of vBulletin for it to work again?
              Last edited by vbSuperfan; Sat 8 Aug '20, 4:58pm.

Comment

• vbSuperfan
                • Jun 2019
                • 5.3.x

Upon further investigation, the "login_form" template has seemingly been completely removed from the main "Themes" template root parent in the Style Editor during the upgrade from vBulletin version 5.5.6 to 5.6.2 !?

Here are some screendumps to prove it:

vBulletin 5.5.6 AdminCP:

vBulletin 5.6.2 AdminCP (i.e. the same board, after upgrading vBulletin 5.5.6 to 5.6.2):

Is this intentional by vBulletin, and in that case why?!?

How can I restore this template (which is a central part of my board welcome screen design), or otherwise "simulate" it to get it back?

(I have already tried to create a new template named "login_form" and copy the exact contents of the login_form template in vBulletin 5.5.6 to it, and while it indeed displays a similar login form on the page, it does not work to login with this form, you just get some error message from the web server when you try to use it)
                Last edited by vbSuperfan; Sun 9 Aug '20, 1:57pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

This is not a bug. The login form has been completely refactored and although it looks the same cosmetically, it is completely different to how it was before.

You should be able to use the template login_main

You can see this on my demo site where I've just added it, and the login works ok. https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• vbSuperfan
                    • Jun 2019
                    • 5.3.x

Thanks, it worked functionality-wise, but is was unfortunately very ugly aesthetically though.

I'm using this login form in a wide parent-frame on the page, and the login form fields now become full-width, i.e. they span the entire screen width, rather than limiting themselves to "normal" login form field widths.

Is there any way I can limit this myself, e.g. by putting some kind of limited-width container module around it in the "Edit Page" editor?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

You can constrain the module using CSS. If you inspect the element you will be able to see the #widgetid value in the generated code. Using this, you can apply CSS directly to the page to control its width and margins.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Krow
                        • Feb 2020

I have been going around in circles all evening. How can I edit the login page on vBulletin 5.6.4?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Krow
                          I have been going around in circles all evening. How can I edit the login page on vBulletin 5.6.4?
                          On the download version, you can manually edit the login_main template. The form cannot be changed on vBulletin Cloud. However, the default view is constrained to the actual size of the drop down when you click "login of signup" link in the header. The form really isn't designed to be altered.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Krow
                            Krow commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's these wordings I want to change. They are confusing. Is this possible? I have changed the header.. but these words,
                        • Krow
                          • Feb 2020

Comment