• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markus_Wollny
    • Feb 2018
    • 5.3.x

Suggestion for performance improvement

Hi,

We are currently in the process of migrating a fairly large custom made forum to VBulletin 5 - DB size of the migrated VB5 db is somewhere around 17GB. We're using memcached and sphinx, so almost everything is working as intended. We did notice however, that posting to certain forums takes a very long time - sometimes 15 seconds would pass until the post action would be processed.

We managed to find the query that caused most of the delay and improve performance significantly with just one additional index:

ALTER TABLE node ADD INDEX `idx_node_performance` (`parentid`,`showpublished`,`showapproved`,`lastcontent`,`lastcontentid`);

I hope this may help some people who experience similar performance issues and I'd kindly ask the developers to consider adding that index to a default install - I don't think it should have any significant negative impact, but it does help very much in case of large forums.

Kind regards

Markus
  • Kevin Sours
    Lead Developer
    • Apr 2008
    • 5.5.x

Which query was it? Would like to investigate.

Comment

• Zambfd
      • Nov 2012
      • 4.1.x

It is happening when $this->fixNodeLast($ancestor['nodeid']); is called.
      So the queryDef should be "vBForum:updateLastContentSelf" or "vBForum:node".

Comment

• Kevin Sours
        Lead Developer
        • Apr 2008
        • 5.5.x

FYI: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19073
        It's good catch.
        Thank you,
        Kevin

Comment