• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bendiesel
    • Jan 2018
    • 5.3.x

custom home page

Hi !
    I just bought vBulletin and I aim to install it at the root of the site. I wonder if it is possible to make a home page with extracts of articles in 3 columns containing a photo and the number of comments. would I need an addon, a specific programming or should i install vBulletin with wordpress for example.

I found a site that uses vBulletin I think, but in any case this is the type of homepage that i would like to realize using only vBulletin on my site if it's possible..

Click image for larger version

Name:	11.png
Views:	522
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	4386793

thank you for your advice because I really need it since I am a beginner with vBulletin.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You can set the Articles Page for your Home Page. Then set the article list to show three columns of articles instead of one. The route to do so takes a few steps.
    1. Click Edit Page on your current home page.
    2. Save the page.
    3. Update the URL so it is "forums" or something similar.
    4. Finish Saving.
    5. Edit the Articles Page.
    6. Change its URL to be empty.
    7. Finish Saving.
    8. Update your Navigation tabs to reflect the new URLs of the respective pages.
    You can also create a custom page and use a three column layout with different search modules to display content in those columns. To create a custom page, just click "New Page" in the site Builder menu.

Here is an example of the Articles page on my test site: https://forums.rabidbadger.io/articles
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Craig
      • Jan 2008
      • 6.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Here is an example of the Articles page on my test site: https://forums.rabidbadger.io/articles
      Sharp!

adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• bendiesel
        • Jan 2018
        • 5.3.x

thank you i really appreciate your help ! i'll try to follow your steps

and your link looks amazing ! by giving idea about what we can do with vBulletin,

Comment

• Craig
          • Jan 2008
          • 6.X

Can this be done by making each column (using a three column layout) display a specific category?

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by NumNum
            Can this be done by making each column (using a three column layout) display a specific category?
            Not at this time. You could use a three-column layout and use a search engine to pull results from different categories.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Craig
              • Jan 2008
              • 6.X

I was thinking that too. Looks pretty good at that.

Last edited by Craig; Tue 13 Mar '18, 1:47pm.

Comment

• helenblog
                • Dec 2014
                • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                You can set the Articles Page for your Home Page. Then set the article list to show three columns of articles instead of one. The route to do so takes a few steps.
                1. Click Edit Page on your current home page.
                2. Save the page.
                3. Update the URL so it is "forums" or something similar.
                4. Finish Saving.
                5. Edit the Articles Page.
                6. Change its URL to be empty.
                7. Finish Saving.
                8. Update your Navigation tabs to reflect the new URLs of the respective pages.
                You can also create a custom page and use a three column layout with different search modules to display content in those columns. To create a custom page, just click "New Page" in the site Builder menu.

Interesting! I didn't know vB5 can do this.

Originally posted by bendiesel
                Hi !
                I just bought vBulletin and I aim to install it at the root of the site. I wonder if it is possible to make a home page with extracts of articles in 3 columns containing a photo and the number of comments. would I need an addon, a specific programming or should i install vBulletin with wordpress for example.

I found a site that uses vBulletin I think, but in any case this is the type of homepage that i would like to realize using only vBulletin on my site if it's possible..

Click image for larger version

Name:	11.png
Views:	522
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	4386793

thank you for your advice because I really need it since I am a beginner with vBulletin.

As Wayne Luke suggested then you only follow steps and there is a homepage as your requirement. But if you want to have a better one, I would you have a look on the homepage of this hosting forum https://forumweb.hosting it has 3 columns and showing threads under each one, it will easily to find and read more threads on your homepage. Just a thing, it was vB4, not sure vB5 can customize according to this orient.

Just my 0.00002 cents!

Best Advertising Forum and Marketing Forum on the internet!

Comment

• bendiesel
                  • Jan 2018
                  • 5.3.x

thank you helenblog, the home page has interactive and clear looking,

i got also other issues with the home page of 5.4, you can look at the topic that i posted yesterday :
                  https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...cles-home-page

definitely VB could be better without these issues,,

Comment

• Blackhorse
                    • Jul 2018
                    • 5.3.x

Hello,

Could you please confirm, Is this forum homepage is done with vBulletin 5 connect????

Learn web hosting from tips, tutorials on our best web hosting forums and find best web hosting services for your websites.

Thanx

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Blackhorse
                      https://forumweb.hosting/
                      This site is using a custom solution that is not vBulletin 5.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment