X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnPBee
    • Oct 2015
    • 5.3.x

unbelievably slow...

It's been over a year since I last tried vbulletin 5 and there have been multiple updates since then. However and unfortunately, I did some tests between the latest version of vBulletin 5 and 3.8 and the performance difference is nothing short of staggering. ie, both installs are fresh and empty, and vB 5 is still slow as a pig with even the simplest tasks.

Needless to say, I am sorry that I purchased a licensing for vB5 as this has proven to be a complete waist of money for me personally :/
    Last edited by JohnPBee; Fri 7 Jul '17, 8:18am.
  • Craig
    • Jan 2008
    • 6.X

I upgraded my site from 3.8.9 to 5.1.7, presently on the latest version 5.3.1. and it is just as fast as it was when I was running 3.8.9.

I suspect there is something else going on that has yet to be identified with your installs.
    adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• vBTube
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.3.x

If possible install php7. This will boost the performance.
      Mine is running really fast.

Comment

• JohnPBee
        • Oct 2015
        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by vBTube
        Will try that, and thanks for the suggestion - I'll post before & after results here

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

It really comes down to the server configuration and the size of your site. vBulletin 3.8.X is pretty much procedural code. It runs faster on basic tasks but is terrible to maintain easily over long periods of time. vBulletin 3.X also includes almost no AJAX communication where it can update pages without reloading them or retrieve additional information from the server after a page is loaded.

On the other hand, vBulletin 5 is using a class driven architecture, builds every page custom to the user viewing it, has full AJAX capability, and is mobile friendly.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JohnPBee
            • Oct 2015
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            It really comes down to the server configuration and the size of your site. vBulletin 3.8.X is pretty much procedural code. It runs faster on basic tasks but is terrible to maintain easily over long periods of time. vBulletin 3.X also includes almost no AJAX communication where it can update pages without reloading them or retrieve additional information from the server after a page is loaded.

On the other hand, vBulletin 5 is using a class driven architecture, builds every page custom to the user viewing it, has full AJAX capability, and is mobile friendly.
            Hi Wayne,

I do apologize for the otherwise negative nature of my post.

I guess I'm just frustrated with the current state of vBulletin 5 based on the fact that I payed a rather substantial amounts of money for something that was suppose to provide me with a CMS driven website without having to customize code and spend countless hours maintaining after the fact.

But the problem(you see), is that even now, after what seems like countless updates, I still can't seem to use vBulletin 5 connect to setup even the simplest CMS driven website without resorting to customizing code. Compound this with the apparent sluggish nature of the user interface and the entire affair ends in bad taste from my perspective. Not to mention, feeling as though I sponsored a software development rather than an end-user product. - my two cents of course

Comment

• JohnPBee
              • Oct 2015
              • 5.3.x

Just to update, I was not able to observe any performance speed differences between php 5.6.3, 7.0 and 7.1
              With that said, is it possible that there were other settings or changes between your php version also?

Comment

• vBTube
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.3.x

What about the apache server logs? Something in there?
                Also check apache settings. Provided you have apache?

Comment

• JohnPBee
                  • Oct 2015
                  • 5.3.x

What about the apache server logs? Something in there?
                  Also check apache settings. Provided you have apache?
                  The server is running lightspeed.
                  With that said, I've asked the hosting co. for the logs on numerous occasions without success.
                  cPanel provides basic error logging, but it doesn't seem to include php errors etc.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

We haven't tested the software with Litespeed so there may be issues in the default installation and routing that can cause problems. We've tested with Apache, NGINX, and IIS. Litespeed doesn't have the market share needed to for us to include it in tests.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bootsie1
                      • Jun 2017
                      • 5.3.x

Hi there
                      i have a couple of vb5 sites running on litespeed and running fine.
                      The thing is i was getting a lot of timeouts trying to install vb5 so to cure this i added the following line to the .htaccess file
                      and it worked fine

<IfModule LiteSpeed>
                      RewriteEngine On
                      RewriteRule .* - [E=noconntimeout:1]
                      RewriteRule .* - [E=noabort:1]
                      CacheDisable public /
                      CacheDisable private /
                      </IfModule>
                      Cometbar

DartsLeague

Comment