vBulletin 5 Modules...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I know modules are only accessible by the administrator. I have used vB5.x since it was initially released.

I want administrators to be able to upload mp4 videos directly to the server and place them in modules.

I want the modules to allow for videos to be sorted by creator (member) or by category.

I want the module to be searchable by creator or type.

So, only administrators would be able to upload the content and create the modules.

But all usergroups with permissions would be able to view the content and search the content.

This would eliminate third party hosting of video content, which is ultimately what I am trying to achieve.

I don't want countless links to YouTube or other hosting services. Those can and do break.

If a site can host the content and control it via modules rather than just giving members a "free-for-all" to upload video content it achieves all those ends.

If all I wanted to do was to embed videos from third parties I know how to do that. That isn't what I want.

Are you telling me a module couldn't achieve this?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      Wayne Luke commented
      Editing a comment
      This is an entirely new set of features that goes why beyond a module. Modules only display data. The system doesn't have categories for videos or track them by a creator. Nor are videos (any attachment really) indexed in any way. This functionality would need to be added to the system. I suggest that you write up clearly what the system should do and create a feature request JIRA. How you're typing it up here is a bit confusing.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

This is brain storming, I really liked some ideas, lets keep new ones coming. Creating an entire platform to allow video sharing is beyond the scope of vBulletin but good to know tools for live video sharing is something customers want.

Comment

• In Omnibus
      In Omnibus commented
      Editing a comment
      JIRAs have been created for two features. If they go anywhere it would be a huge boost to the functionality of vBulletin 5.
  • napy8gen
    • Jul 2001
    • 6.X

Hello Guys.
    This is not original idea but if you can do this the topic reading part can be amazing.

1. Can we have a module that listed out user avatars that participate in a topic. - This can used in a sidebar of a topic.
    2. Then you can have most helpful post - where you can list out user avatar that received most like in that topic. Also can be used in the topic sidebar.
    3. You also can have a related content module in that topic.
    Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Is it possible to have a module that tells administrators (and other selected usergroups) which members are using which browser from which type of device and with which theme?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by In Omnibus
        Is it possible to have a module that tells administrators (and other selected usergroups) which members are using which browser from which type of device and with which theme?
        Except for the theme, Wouldn't it be better to use an analytics tool like Google Analytics for this? Just trying to understand what the use case is.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Except for the theme, Wouldn't it be better to use an analytics tool like Google Analytics for this? Just trying to understand what the use case is.
          Google Analytics does provide that information if one is willing to exchange site and member privacy in return. I'm not. I'd rather obtain the information directly and keep my site and member data out of the hands of third party marketers. My site doesn't advertise or market or solicit and I take my members' privacy extremely seriously. I can't uphold my own privacy policy if I allow Google access to the data they need to return the data I want.

The theme question is specific to my own development of custom themes. I want to know if my members are better served by my developing mobile first or desktop first and I want to know if I can dispense with several themes which have become cumbersome to update or revert with each software update.

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
            • Nov 2014
            • 5.1.x

I'd like to see a module that can auto update latest threads without having to "refresh the page". It would be nice to be able to set the auto update for latest threads to every so many seconds or minutes.

I created a Jira here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17169

Comment

• In Omnibus
              In Omnibus commented
              Editing a comment
              Doesn't Dragonbyte Tech already have a mod that does this? Or are you looking for something different? Actually, I just read the JIRA. I agree. I'll vote for this.

• William Thomas Jr
              William Thomas Jr commented
              Editing a comment
              Most stuff doesn't work in the admincp and it breaks the module. I am asking for either the same thing from Vbulletin or just an ajax auto update on the latest module.

Of course, dragonbyte products can't be used on vbcloud.
              Last edited by William Thomas Jr; Mon 14 Aug '17, 9:21am.
          • mna
            • Jun 2017
            • 5.3.x

Id like to see a little edit of the existing "Upcoming Events Module". Right now it has one button that says "View Events in Calendar". I would like to add another button right next to it that says "Add Event". When you click it, it would basically start a new topic in my designated Event forum, with the "Post Event" tab already selected, and the All Day option set to No by default.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ssfnl
              We are currently in the process of a relocation and an upgrade of our forum. We have installed 5.3.0 and are testing it now. The current forum uses the 3.8.7 software. I know you asked for 1 module only. I hope you don't mind me posting 3 whishes (in order of priority).
              1. As mentioned earlier in this thread, a moderation module would be highly appreciated. The admin panel allows for a subforum to be set up where flagged messages appear and can be discussed by our 7 moderators. However, this link has never been made available. I know a ticket has been raised in the Jira tracker to solve this issue, but no results so far (after 5 years). Not sure if this is a module issue though.
              That option is obsolete. Moderators can see the Flag Reports in their Message Center. The option is being removed to reduce confusion. It will not be reimplemented. However, a method to show flagged reports and posts needing other moderation wouldn't be difficult to add. Might be possible with the search JSON now. Will have to look.

2. We would love to see a module for a marketplace where we can enter pre defined fields for product type, brand, product ID, price, pictures, location, available/sold and a free text field. An option to move a thread to a dedicated archive subforum automatically after closing it, would be highly appreciated.
              Vote here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-16940

vBulletin 5 is focused on content types (topics, photo galleries, polls, events, links). If we get a content type added to sell products, then modules will follow. Similar to how Events were added and we followed up with the Calendar module.

3. A search module that displays topics only in a compact format. The current options allow for a compact view that shows latest post, or a topic view that isn't compact.
              What is your idea of "Compact"? The display is ultimately controlled by templates and CSS so things can be changed if we have examples of what your looking for.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Voted. The features described in this issue exceed our needs however. What I failed to describe earlier though, is the fact that members should be able to post in this module. The market place on our current forum is a service we provide to our members to sell their own used gear/equipment. Currently we simply use threads for this. We have a grwoing need for more structure in and less moderation on this part of our forum.
                Users would be able to create Product type content if it added. It would work like any other content type. Then a module would display that content. The Calendar is similar. You don't create content in the Calendar. You create Events in the various channels (controlled by permissions) and they are displayed on the Calendar module.

I am referring to the view mode when editing a search module. There's "Default", "Topics" and "Compact". When selecting "Compact" however, the module is set up to include recent replies to a topic. We would like to see Topics only, in the Compact view mode. So ideally we only want to see the titles of the threads without the resplies to these.
                I am aware of the options. Was looking for something more visual to trigger an idea.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 5.7.X

I am referring to the view mode when editing a search module. There's "Default", "Topics" and "Compact". When selecting "Compact" however, the module is set up to include recent replies to a topic. We would like to see Topics only, in the Compact view mode. So ideally we only want to see the titles of the threads without the resplies to these.
                  If you check the "Started posts only" checkbox, then the module will only display starter posts.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 5.7.X

Great! That's exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for your tip Glenn!

This option was difficult to figure out because of the title and because of the fact that I can only see "Started". The remainder of the title of the check box was hidden, out of the frame.
                    Glad to help!

For the hidden option issue, I fixed it on my own forum with this custom CSS:
                    Code:
                    #search-config-dialog .form_row .label_column {
                        white-space: normal;
                        width: 45%;
                    }

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• delicjous
                      • Mar 2014
                      • 6.X

I would like to see a wiki-post contenttype.
                      If the user have permission to create and/ or edit a wiki-post the user could create a post which could be edit (only the starter-/first post) by all other users with the permisssion to edit this post. So the users could collect all the important knowledge of a topic in the first post. Every change could be displayed in the posthistory.
                      That possibility could used for great stuff and it should be easy to implement.
                      There is a module to do that for another forum system :-)

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Christian Rosch
                        If the user have permission to create and/ or edit a wiki-post the user could create a post which could be edit (only the starter-/first post) by all other users with the permisssion to edit this post. So the users could collect all the important knowledge of a topic in the first post. Every change could be displayed in the posthistory.
                        That would require fundamental changes to permissions which is outside the scope of this exercise to be honest.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• delicjous
                          delicjous commented
                          Editing a comment
                          oO... If you could have any one module added to the system, what would it be? Ok, you are right. It is more an improvement as an module. But I think it would not that hard to edit the permissions on that. I will do a jira ...
                      • BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Christian Rosch
                        Suggest you make a JIRA as a feature request since this wouldn't be a module but a content type. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=7

Just fill in the summary (title) and the description, our staff can take care of the rest.

Quite a few people asked about Wiki threads/posts as mods for VB 4.x. I had a working beta but never finished it, it was surprisingly popular for how little it did.

Comment