X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mackey
    • Mar 2014
    • 5.1.x

How do you use the calendar module

Is there any documentation on how to use the calendar module?
    Adding events, etc?
    ~ MackeyFlipClockFans.com
  • Mattwhf
    • May 2016
    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Mackey
    Is there any documentation on how to use the calendar module?
    Adding events, etc?
    Since used vB over 10 years ago, I never used vB calendar module.
    If you want to know how to use it, just testing it by trying to add some events..etc and see how it works.
    That is simple.
    Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
    Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

Adding an event is done by creating a new topic and clicking on the Event button. It should then automatically appear in your Calendar module.
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Events can be in any channel whether it is a Forum, Article, Blog or Social Group channel. As Trevor said, just click the button to create a New Topic/Article/Entry in the channel and you can then select the Event content type. The default calendar will show events from all channels.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	snip_20170411100905.png
Views:	1022
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	4368121

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mackey
          • Mar 2014
          • 5.1.x

Thanks Wayne and Trevor. I appreciate the time.
          ~ MackeyFlipClockFans.com

Comment

• mna
            • Jun 2017
            • 5.3.x

I've waited years for this feature, thanks! Is there a way to make a button that when clicked would basically start a new topic in my designated Event forum, with the "Post Event" tab already selected, and the All Day option set to No by default? I need something like that before I can upgrade from vb4.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Mar 2011
              • 5.7.X

Originally posted by mna
              I've waited years for this feature, thanks! Is there a way to make a button that when clicked would basically start a new topic in my designated Event forum, with the "Post Event" tab already selected, and the All Day option set to No by default? I need something like that before I can upgrade from vb4.
              I heard that before. I think that's possible but right now it requires custom coding. I'm not sure if this is already in the JIRA.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• mna
                • Jun 2017
                • 5.3.x

Do you think it would be very hard to make a Add Event button in a HTML or PHP module? Ideally I would like a Add Event button in the Upcoming Events Module next to the View Events in Calendar button that's already there...but I would settle with adding a HTML or PHP module to put some buttons in.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mna
                  Do you think it would be very hard to make an Add Event button in an HTML or PHP module? Ideally I would like a Add Event button in the Upcoming Events Module next to the View Events in Calendar button that's already there...but I would settle with adding a HTML or PHP module to put some buttons in.
                  Since Events can be created in Topics (forums), Articles (CMS), Blog Entries (Blog), Discussions (Groups), Private Messages, and Visitor Messages where would the button lead? That is why we didn't add one. BY adding Events as a content type, it gets all the advantages of all content types. These are Rich Text Editing, Inheritable Channel Permissions, Custom BBCodes, Attachments, Searching, Human-Friendly URLS, Replies, Comments, Etc... Plus they don't have to be created in a single location. This is something that wasn't easily possible in previous versions of vBulletin. With default permissions, users can create event content throughout your entire site.

However, if you want to constrict events to a single Channel location, then yes you can create a simple button that leads to that channel's createcontent page.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

To be clear...

The default Calendar module performs a search for all events across your site and will show the events. However, you can control what is shown using the standard Search JSON. The default should be sufficient for most sites. More Advanced users can use JSON to create multiple specialized calendars. You can also alter this using the "Latest Events" module. This is a customized search module that only shows events by default. When you click the "View All Upcoming Events" button, it will pass its parameters to the Calendar search module.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mna
                      • Jun 2017
                      • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Since Events can be created in Topics (forums), Articles (CMS), Blog Entries (Blog), Discussions (Groups), Private Messages, and Visitor Messages where would the button lead? That is why we didn't add one.
                      My idea would be something like: If the module of Upcoming Events (or another module) had a "Add new Event" button, there should be an option to choose which forum that button would post to.

In my case I'm the admin of a flight simulation community website, where users fly together on multiplayer servers. They will add events to our current vb4 homepage to organize a multiplayer flight from one airport to another at a specific time. Any user of the website can see the event on the homepage and choose to join. The main concern here is to have a visible button on the homepage that says "Add New Event" so everyone can easily see how it's done. We currently have an Event forum where all Events are posted to from the Add Event button. Here's a link if your curious as to the setup: http://msflights.net/forum/content.php

Comment

• In Omnibus
                        In Omnibus commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The site linked is using vB 4.2.2 so the Upcoming Events module wouldn't be applicable.

• mna
                        mna commented
                        Editing a comment
                        the link was for an example of these features in vb4. We have updated to vb5 now, this is what our event module from vbmods.rock look like now: https://www.msflights.net/forum/
                    • Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

If all of your events are in one forum then you can use either the Ad module or the Static HTML module and create a button to create new content in that forum. They will have to select the event content type in the editor or you can use channel permissions to only allow the event content type in that forum.

Sample code would be something like:
                      Code:
                      <button class="b-button b-button--primary">
                          <a href="https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/new-content/XXX">Add New Event</a>
                      </button>
                      You would replace XXX with the nodeid of your Event channel after upgrading as it will change from what it is now. Might need additional CSS to style it the way you want.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mna
                        • Jun 2017
                        • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

You would replace XXX with the nodeid of your Event channel after upgrading as it will change from what it is now. Might need additional CSS to style it the way you want.
                        Thanks, is there a way to get it to load onto the "Post Event" tab? Right now it goes straight to a forum post, it would be nice to have it load onto the Post an Event tab by default. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by mna

Thanks, is there a way to get it to load onto the "Post Event" tab? Right now it goes straight to a forum post, it would be nice to have it load onto the Post an Event tab by default. Thanks for the help!
                          I tried to get this working but couldn't.

Glenn Vergara posted some info on his site HERE, at this point I've not been able to make it work (mostly due to me not actually being a programmer!)
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mna

There are no route endpoints to tell the system to create a specific content type like Events. Due to this, the system can't go straight to a Post Event tab. Would be an interesting item for future improvement.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment